For moms with 4 kids or more....

How old are you? How old were you when you had your first child? How old were you when you had your last?

I am just curious because I am 22 and pregnant with twins... this will be babies #3 and 4 for us ... and none of them were planned. I had my first at 17 (almost 18), my second at 19, and now I'm 20 weeks pregnant with the twins.

I am just feeling very overwhelmed and not really sure what to expect. I just want to know if this really is uncommon or if there are other moms out there in my situation ... having so many kids at a young age.

Everyone keeps telling me how crazy things are gonna be and how hard it's going to be with 4 kids and I know they don't mean to but they are making me even more nervous. I know it won't be EASY but .... from your experience... how bad is it really? LoL

JenMarie2007

Asked by JenMarie2007 at 11:24 AM on Feb. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• I was 21 when my 9 year old was born. I was definitely not ready for parenthood but luckily my Husband was. After I warmed up to being a Mom I wanted a second chance to be a better mother. I had my second child when I was 26. I was definitely a better mother. At 26 I again became pregnant with twin boys. The twins were born when I was 27. I know exactly how you are feeling. I am now 30 and I truly believe what has really helped is having a supportive family and friends. I joined our local Parents of Multiples club and they were a big help (still are).

Everybody always said I don't know how you did/do it. It's easy, I had no choice. Failure was not an option. I took one day at a time, one hour at a time, one minute at a time. You learn to be strong and deal with it.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 11:29 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I can tell you that for me, I had two back to back and its tough! so I know its going to be hard taking care of two babies at once! I have 4 kids and it can be really tough for me, but I also have kidney disease and that makes it so much harder. I had my first child at 15.. then my second at 20, third at 24 and fourth at 25.

soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 11:31 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I was 22 when I had my first, almost 24 with my second and 25 when my twins were born. It was really hard when the twins were first born. My second was only 16 mos. But after a while, and getting adjusted, I wouldn't say it's tons harder than having just two youngens. The hardest thing is being able to go places, but you'll figure it out. You can't do things like you did before, but you'll find a new groove that works for you. Congrats on the twins! :)
    jreneei

Answer by jreneei at 11:44 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I was 19, 20, 23 and 24 when my 4 sons were born. It was a bit crazy for a bit but eventually it evened out. It will help that you have a 5yo and a 3yo because they will want to help. My older 2 were 5 and 3 when my 4th was born and they were amazingly wonderful helps for me. I am now 43 & my sons are now almost 24, 22, almost 20 and 18 and I misss having all 4 around. It was busy but it was a blast!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• BTW, I'm 27 now
    jreneei

Answer by jreneei at 12:43 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I was 23 when I had my 1st, 24 for my 2nd, 25 for my 3rd and 29 for my 4th. I'm 33 now and due in July with my 5th. 4 kids is overwhelming no matter how old you are.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:53 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I was 19 with my first, 20 with my second and now I am 38 and just gave birth to my last #8. It is going to be hectic, it is going to be hard, but you will adapt and on those days where you wonder "How the hell am I going to keep going" your baby will smile at you and you will keep going. It does get better and it does get easier, it just takes a little time.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 7:09 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I had my first in 1986 I was 19
    then one in 91
    then one in 94
    then one in 05 at 39
    and my last in 06 at 40. I am done, and I am tired.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:01 PM on Feb. 11, 2010