Does a 2 1/2 year old need milk???

OK i know the answer is yes but the child i watch his mom told me he don't really need milk anymore.....i have been watching him for over a year now and he has never drank milk good i told her like 3 weeks ago he will not drink it at all now and she said she hasn't givin it to him in 3 months or so she said when they give him milk that he will throw his cup on the floor and pitch a fit....he was drinking it at my house till xmas and his parents were off for 3 weeks and when he came back he just will not drink it she told me not to worry about it and just not give him any b/c he don't need it she said they only give him juice and he has to have juice when he leaves here too i fill his cup up with it. What would you do if the child acted like this

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Feb. 11, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Actually the answer is no. Kids need a variety of nutreints. But it doesn't really matter where they come from (ie cheese verse milk). As long as it's a varied diet, he's probably fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Kids don't HAVE to have milk. Sure, the calcium is ok, but, you can get that from foods. The vitamin D is ok, but, you can get that by getting out in the sun. So, no, kids do not have to have it. It is perfectly fine if he is getting nutrients through food. Besides, cow milk is hard to digest in humans.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:35 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• as long as he's getting vitamin d he should be ok, lack of it can give him rickets.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Its good to have milk integrated into a child's diet, whether it be lactose free, soy, or regular milk. Its more than enough if you have milk with cereal in the mornings....as my boys do. They are 3 and 5 and don't particularly care for milk as a beverage but drink it up with their morning cereal....so that is more than sufficient.
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 12:00 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Honestly ladies, this woman they only give him JUICE and you think this child is having a good balanced diet? I think this child would probably benefit from some milk and water!
    Anonymous

• woman said*
    Anonymous

• They need dairy, the nutrients it provides, not necessarily milk.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 12:18 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I thought they needed it until at least 5, but that could be old news. Milk is delicious though. Maybe you can put some chocolate sauce in it and make him like milk again. All juice is just bad. Water it down or something. His mama is going to turn him into a fat kid with bad teeth if she just gives him all juice.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 1:03 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Kids don't need milk or juice. Cows milk is for babies cows. You can get calcium through other sources. Juice is nearly as bad as soda. So if the mother is choosing not to do milk I'm surprised she's still doing juice. The only beverage children need is water.
    Anonymous

• Milk (be it soy or cow's) is one of THE MOST nutritionally complete foods. I say, heck YES, they NEED milk! I huge percentage of kids don't get enough calcium. Proper nutrition is SO IMPORTANT! Fruit juice is not good for kids. Too much sugar. They should just eat the fruit and forgo the juice! It is very difficult to get enough calcium in a day without any milk of any kind for a child.
    mommyheymommy

Answer by mommyheymommy at 1:11 PM on Feb. 11, 2010