Not Walking yet?

My little girl is 16 months old and has yet to walk by herself. She goes everywhere as long as she holds on to something, but if me and my Husband try to get her to let go and stand by herself she just screams and sits on her butt. Her doctor says to bring her back up there if shes not walking by next month. I'm pretty worried about her and was wondering if y'all have any tips to help us teach her to stand and walk by herself?

Thanks

Amayawolf

Asked by Amayawolf at 11:34 AM on Feb. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son didn't walk until 15.5 or 16 months. The doctor said as long as he could support his own weight, which is sounds like your daughter can, to not worry. If at 18 months he still wasn't walking, he would have had him evaluated. My son's teachers also say he is very cautious. He will watch others before attempting things on his own. He has always been like that...hopefully it will carry over until his teen years! ;) Once he started to walk, he never really fell. yes, he would trip or run into things like every other toddler, but no big spills like early walkers. I bet she is A-OK! :)
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 1:13 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• kids cann take off at thier own pace. from what i am reading she is not outside the noraml range; Maybe she is just a little scared yet?
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 11:42 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• The good news, she is moblie and able to get around as long as she feels safe! I wonder if you were to hold a treat and try to get her to do it on her own would she? It sounds like she is a bit fearful to venture out on her own, I don't think it sounds like a motor skill problem, or else she wouldn't be able to get around on her own. Good luck mom, I bet she will be around on her own in no time!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:46 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• my son is 19 months a just started walking like 2 weeks ago!!!... i kept thinking he was delayed and stuff but nope he just moved at his wn pace...give her time she'll get it

good luck

HannahLee87

Answer by HannahLee87 at 11:54 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• My daughter is almost 17 months and is the same way. She'll walk holding onto the wall or pushing a walking toy, but refuses to do it herself. She just started standing up from the floor with no help this week, and she can stand for a long time without holding on to anything, so I'm hoping those first steps will come soon. I haven't been too concerned because she has always done stuff at her own pace.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 12:23 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• My son didn't start walking til he was 16.5 months. He didn't even start to pull himself up and cruise along furniture til he was about 15 months. She is mobile and will do it on her own time. Just keep practicing with her.
    chelleybeans

Answer by chelleybeans at 1:39 PM on Feb. 11, 2010