need advice on pricing home crafted baby "stuff"?

I have decided to create one of a kinda handmade "loveys", they come in a 2 pack, so moms have one to wash while baby has the other. No nervous breakdowns!
the next ideas, are for toys, also hand made. Plush "in and out" toyys, for example a fabrib but structured picnin basket filled with picnic items that baby can remove and put pack, pack and unpack. at around 9 months, they like to play with shape sorters, but most lack the dexterity and congnative ability to get the shapes thru the right spot. so this type of touy is like a stepping stone. i know my 9 month old is fascinated with a bucket filled with toys and will spend a good deal of time taking them out, arranging them and putting them back.
other ideas for the "ina dn out" line are: a fishbowl, a mailbox, a cooking pot.
I need some input on how to price these items. what would you as a mom pay for the set of loveys?
what would you pay for the toy set? ty so much!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Feb. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Are you planning to sell them on your own, or at a baby shop of some sort? I would think you need to charge based on the time involved to make them. I wish you had a pic, and then maybe we could tell you what we would be willing to pay? I love the basket idea....not so sure about the lovey's maybe like $10=$15? Sounds neat!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:51 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• kimigoo, I dont have pics! but I can honestly say I have given the loveys as gifts for yrs now and moms have cried at how soft and pretty they are. I am not one to toot my own horn, but i have a hard time giving them each away I love them so. and that the thing too, handmade, with lots of mommy love lol. to some it may not mean much but for me, i love the "karma" of that. ty for your response and if I get pics I will send them to you to see. and yes 10-15 sounds very fair. my initial plan is to set them out this summer when I have a yard sale to get rid of my infant sons things he has no use for. that way I can get a feel for the demand, or desire. also checking out local childrens shops, even resale, because its important to me that ALL kids have educational toys and things of that nature, not justt he ones whose parents can pay upwards of 30 dollars(and yes I have seen similar basket tos as you called them priced at no less
    Anonymous

• What you need to do is figure out the math on exactly how much it costs in supplies to make one, then how much time it takes to make one, and how much you should be paid on that time to make one.....Let's say it costs you $5 in supplies to make one and it takes you an hour to make one and you feel $5 an hour is a good, fair price for your time. Then the cost to make one is $10. When pricing items it's generally considered that the cost of making an item + replacing that item should be doubled in order to make profit. So, if it costs $10 to make + $10 to replace it for $20, you should sell them for $40. You can lower your profit margin if you think that's too steep, such as only charging $30 or $35, but then just understand you are making less.

A few good places to try and sell a few to see how they go are etsy.com, ebay, craigslist and consignment shops and craft shows in your area.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 12:40 PM on Feb. 11, 2010