Anyone get/have gestational diabetes?How did/has this affected your pregnancy?

Needs some information from mothers who have been through it!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:01 PM on Feb. 11, 2010 in Pregnancy

• The biggest effect is the special diet. You have to cut out sugar and watch your carbs. As long as the diet controls your sugar levels, which you will have check with a little machine and litle needles that prick your finger or your forearms, you won't have to give yourself shots. If it doesn't control it than you will have to take insulin shots. You usually either do them in your abdomen or in your hip.

It can cause your baby to become very large but it doesn't in all cases. My friend actually lost 30 pounds by sticking to the diet and her baby only weighed 5lbs 4 ounces. My other friend's baby was 8 pounds but there have been cases of babies being as big as 15 with the average being between 9 and 11 pounds.
    Anonymous

• I just changed my eating habits. I only gained 19lb compared to 33lb with my first. It did not effect me at all. I also had a small baby 6lbs adn 3oz compared the 9lb they said I would have. But I have small kids. My first was 6lbs 10ozs. Good luck.
    Anonymous

• http://rixarixa.blogspot.com/2008/01/michel-odent-on-gd.html

http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/gdhgoer.html
    Anonymous

• I had GD with all 3 pregnancy's and each got gradually worse. I was insulin dependant for all 3 and the last one was HORRIBLE. But really educating your self on diabetes will help you to understand why your body is doing this. I am now Type 2 Diabetic for 2 years now and fighting to stay off the insulin, taking alot of pills to control it, I lost 50 lbs and watch what I eat. There is NOTHING you did to cause this it is how your body handles the sugar and inuslin intake and output. Make sure you listen to your nutrition experts and try the best you can we are all human and make slip ups yes. Your baby will be tested as soon as he/she is born to see if they were born with it or not, also important REMEMBER to keep your post appointment that has you get tested again for the Blood Glucose levels this will help you to determine what you need to do post baby. Any more advice just ask , I will not judge will try not to scare .
    Majicaleve

Answer by Majicaleve at 12:44 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I am a type 2 diabetic who has had two healthy pregnancies with the disease. I stopped my medication and switched to insulin with my son but took safe medications and some insulin with my daughter. You don't *have* to cut out sugar. Reality is any carb turns to sugar in your body, some are worse than others and it's about moderation and learning what your body can and cannot handle by testing 2 hours after you eat. If you eat mashed potatoes with dinner and 2 hours later your reading is 180 you know not to eat as much or just not eating them.

Switching to healthy carbs with a higher fiber count is the best thing to do as far as carbs: whole grain breads, cereals, brown rice as compared to white bread, white rice and such. Avoiding things with TONS of sugar like soda, non-light yogurts is good, but of course there are sugar free options for those. It's important to have as good control as possible.........CONT
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 12:52 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• CONT....yes diabetics with higher blood sugars can have larger babies, but that's not the only risk involved. A baby can have low blood sugar at birth from the diabetic mother having high blood sugar, because the baby produces more insulin to combat the sugar, then once born that high sugar supply is gone yet the babies insulin is still there and can cause a low. Low blood sugar can lead to very serious problems in a baby.

Also high blood sugar can lead to deterioration of the placenta sooner than a non-diabetic...many diabetics are induced at 39 weeks. Amnio fluid can be higher OR lower as well, which can cuase problems. Because of my diabetes, even though in tight control during both pregnancies, I delievered my children at 39 weeks and 37 weeks. I was induced with my son and ended in a c-section, with my daughter we planned a c-sec at 39 weeks but pre-eclampsia forced an earlier c-sec! But both were born healthy
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 12:56 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I had it as well, I thought it would be terrible and I'd have a huge baby according to everything I had heard. I had to take insulin once a day and controlled it by following the special diet I was told to to follow. I lost weight at the end of the pregnancy as well. My son was 7.19 when he was born and healthy.

My best advice is to not only follow the the diet given by the doc/nutritionist to a T (absolutely no cheating), but also inform yourself. The more informed you are the less scary it will be. Also, don't let anyone tell you horror stories, your story will not be the same as theirs. The goal is to have a healthy baby.

Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions.
    Joelygirl

Answer by Joelygirl at 1:06 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Thanks Ladies- All your advice has been helpful!
    Anonymous