Low milk supply

My daughter is a little over 4 months and I planned on breastfeeding for atleast 6 months..The past week or so my supply has went down alot, she doesnt seem to be peeing like usual, she doesnt have as many wet diapers and she is still wanting to eat every 2 hours but my supply doesnt stay up like it always has..Im not sure if its due to stress or because I got mirena? Is there any advice anyone can give me? should I supplement with a little formula to make sure she is getting enough?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:11 PM on Feb. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would talk to her pediatrician about what formula to supplement, but there is NO shame in using formula to feed your child! It's better-sooo much better than starvation. Still BF as long a you can,but definitely supplement so she is sufficiently fed and hydrated! *hugs*
    Ann_Ony_Mouse

Answer by Ann_Ony_Mouse at 12:34 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Every 2 hrs is still normal. Other then that, how many diapers are you changing in a 24 hr period. You said "less" but count how many in a 24 hr period. If it's still 6-8, then I wouldn't worry.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:40 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• i agree that every 2 hours is normal. i also think the mirena can lower supply.

i'd search around on kellymom.com. supplementing with formula might only make any supply problems worse.

and i agree with krystal that you might not be having supply problems at all :) have you asked in a breastfeeding group?

gl!
    Anonymous

• There is no shame in supplementing, IF it's necessary. Which it might not be. And if it isn't, and you supplement, you could damage your perfectly fine supply. I want to know more about the diapers. And if there is any other reason you feel your supply is low.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:52 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I'd say 5-6 barely wet diapers a day and she's still fussy after emptying both breasts. I'm a natural worrier :-/
    Anonymous

• I'll add that I feed her atleast twice overnight and she wakes up with a diaper thats still barely wet..
    Anonymous

• Please read Mirena IUD interfering with breastfeeding

For most it apears to have no effect on supply, but for a small percentage of moms it appears to dramatcally decrease supply. You may be part of that small percent.

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:04 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Thank you maggiemom2000! I had a feeling is was because of mirena..
    I just read that urine the color of apple juice is a sign of not getting enough and my daughter definately has that sign..
    Anonymous

• amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:17 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I'd have the Mirena taken out ASAP.. Your supply should regulate within a couple days of removal and constant nursing.

If you're having your flow you could take it out yourself. It should come out easily with a few firm tugs of the string. If you feel any pain, stop, but honestly you shouldn't. Several of the ladies in one of my groups have taken out their Mirenas for other issues.

In the mean-time I would likely give formula, but very sparingly. Like 1 oz at a time in a syringe or SNS - and only every few hours AFTER breastfeeding -- until your supply regulates again.
    Anonymous