A little nervous about the pediatric dentist today............

Today my husband has to work so I have to take our son to the dentist by myself. This visit is just for a consultation to exam his cavity and probably decide how he will be sedated to fill the tooth at the next visit. I am nervous all around. What if the dentist is a jerk? How am a supposed to decide how he will be sedated next time without my husband there? Will they do x-rays on this visit? What should I expect in general?

justluvinmyson

Asked by justluvinmyson at 12:12 PM on Feb. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I took my kids to a pediatric dentist and they were so great with them...and I was also a nervous wreck. I had already tried to take them to my dentist, and then to a "family" dentist and both visits were complete failures. The pediatric dentist and his assistants were AWESOME with the kids and knew just what to do. My 4 year old daughter and 2 year old son both sat through the exam perfectly and then later we had to bring my son back to get some work done, I was terrified. He did cry, of course, but recovered immediately and was fine and happy immediately after, running around the office, etc. Going to this guy is so worth it for us, even though he's 45 mins away... Good luck, if he/she is a good Pediatric Dentist, you will all be just fine.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 12:40 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• If he has a cavity then they will probably do x-rays. I was at the dentist today and they were sedating kids by using a oral sedative in a juice. Your dentist probably has a standard procedure that he follows. Pediatric dentist I would imagine are really nice. Ours is. If he wasn't I'd take my son somewhere else. You can always call ahead and ask what your choices for a sedative are, that way you can look them up.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 12:19 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I took my daughter to a pediatric dentist more than once. That dentist was jerk then If yr ds is afraid and screams if the staff any dentist included loses their temper and screams at your ds get him out of there. If he cries, raves for whatever reason if the staff is not minutely irritated in looks between them or to u or body language or verbally then all is ok.

This dentist might decide the cavity is so tiny to keep an eye on it. At some point a thin metal wrap might be put around that tooth for safe keeping, that happened to my daughter.

Your ds might have nitrous oxide if you agree to it or sleep through it if you agree to that. No matter what, in office or in hospital, make sure the tubings to the machine and face masks are all brand new and unwrapped in front of u. Don't use a pig look face nose and tubing to machines, ex.,unless newly unwrapped. Staff & u can wear too.

Also think of a children's hospital.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 12:27 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I have heard really good things about this dentist. I have heard he is great with kids and really knows what he is doing.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 12:43 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Sedated? When I was a kid they gave me nitrous oxide at my pediatric dentist visits (I had all of my teeth capped due to soft teeth).

I was never sedated fully or given anything to swallow.. Ask why they don't use nitrous. Nitrous (when used properly) is usually safer and does not last as long as oral sedation.

I hope your dentist is really nice, if he's not just turn tail and leave and find another. Even if they're 2 1/2 hours away. My dentist was 2 1/2 hours away and my parents never once complained.. because the local dentist just was not equipped to deal with my problems.

Mine was always super nice and had GREAT bed-side manner. I never once cried and I remember him fondly.
    Anonymous

• And dental xrays are routine with cavities.
    Anonymous