How do I grow closer to my kids?

For the last year and a half, I've slowly grown apart from my kids. I've been trying to deal with past childhood issues that always resurface when I finally seem to get happy again. There are times when I just wanna call it quits but it would be very unfair to my husband and kids if this happens. For a better understanding of my issues, let's just say it was........forced upon me. Don't ever wanna go into details but my kids are suffering in the process. Professional help is not an option since I have no extra money for stuff like that. Is there something else I can do to fix this? I'm tired of feeling the way I feel.

sweetredz

Asked by sweetredz at 12:14 PM on Feb. 11, 2010 in Relationships

• There are a lot of books on this topic. I have just got a ton myself. I feel like an inadequate mother and wife. I am told I'm doing good, but I don't see it. So I am reading up on the topic. I prefer books for answers than human contact. I guess that is just how I am. I am working on making things better though. If you want any of the book titles and authors let me know. Drop me a PM and I'll find them all and write out what you want to know about them.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 12:21 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• There are FREE support groups, Hon! Church based support groups, too! Call around! You CAN get through this!
    Ann_Ony_Mouse

Answer by Ann_Ony_Mouse at 12:26 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• There is always free mental health care in all areas if you look hard enough. Or as the above mentioned..a Pastor etc could be of great help...that is what they are there for. It is hard to help with such sketchy information. How old are your children. Can they understand you are dealing with issues. Be that as it may, they are your children, and your issues are not their fault and you as a mom need to kind of suck it up when it comes to them. You need to be there for them no matter what. Work hard at finding someone...anyone to talk to to get yourself well. Best of luck.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:03 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I have been feeling the same myself. I don't know what to do. I want to do fun things as a family but everytime I try it blows up in my face! It's like nobody in my house wants to be a close family unit. I can tell you my life is nothing like I ever thought it would be...not even close! I know how you feel, you are definitely not alone!
    Anonymous

• sounds like MY family... we are all strangers living together in a household... or whatever. lol in one house- its me, my dad, my bro and my son... another house is my mom, my lil sis (and the same bro from before-- its supposed to be 50/50 but he's never at my moms... or even at dad's- last THREE nights- he stayed at a friends house and will probably again tonight).... and then the other house (in another state) is my older sister.

i've tried getting family nights together-- game nights.. nothing works for my family. for your family- i'd probably talk to your husband about it and see how he feels- does he feel away from his kids as well? if so, what can you guys to together to become a closer family? is it just the kids- maybe you can have date night with them-- movies, popcorn, talk about the day, etc.

Shy_Dia

Answer by Shy_Dia at 11:47 AM on Feb. 12, 2010