has anyone ever used H & R Block and then used turbo tax without anything in your income changing? If so, which way got you a bigger refund?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:44 PM on Feb. 11, 2010 in Money & Work

• technically turbotax because we were not charged 300 bucks to do them! We paid 50 for the software and paid 55 for putting it on a debit card.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 12:51 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• turbo tax because I didnt have to pay nearly 400 for them to do what I could do in less time and hassle
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 12:53 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• H&R Block simply uses software like TurboTax, but charges you several hundred dollars for someone to do what you can EASILY do yourself. So, if you prepared and filed your taxes yourself, you would automatically save a couple hundred dollars! You can use copies of your previous year filings to help guide you through the process if you've never done them yourself before. It's not that hard! It only gets complicated if you are itemizing deductions, own a business, or became married this tax year.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:57 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• No, I would never pay H&R or anyone else do to my taxes. However I did want to say that I used both TaxAct and TurboTax this year to see who would give me the bigger refund... TaxAct won by a few hundred!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:59 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• OP here, I'm not talking about the fee that H and R block charges, just the refund itself.
    Anonymous

• we've always used h&r block but this year i did it online and it saved us 100 in fees since we didnt have to pay the person.. it was easy and i will do it again next year unless we have tons to claim.. it was i think 80 to e-file and everything ..fed was free..
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 1:35 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Do you mean from year to year? The tax laws change from year to year so you could get a different refund even if you used the same place or program. I got a much larger refund this year then last & we only made a few hundred bucks more in wages.
    Anonymous

• Turbotax got me more in state that H&R would have, however they charge more for the online service...so depending on the amount of difference it may not even be worth it to you!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 3:38 PM on Feb. 11, 2010