how do i get my 21 mos son to stop throwing fits and hitting us????

i'm a moma of 2kids ages 6 and 21 mos my son has started when he was 18 mos throwing these fits when he can't get is way he will even do this when go out to eat and go shopping..he will throw himself to the floor and kick and scream he has also started to hit back at me and his sister.we have pop his butt and do the time out and it dosn't seem like nothing is working.as we have found out that he only does this when he is with us..he will go stay at my family house and dosn't dot his but as soon as we walk in the door and tell him no to something he starts up with the fits.

mixedupmandie

Asked by mixedupmandie at 9:02 AM on Jun. 26, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Ignore the behavior while you're at home. He wants the attention. If you're out in public, give him a warning that if he doesn't stop, you're going to sit in the car. If it continues, tell everyone it's time-out time and you'll be back. Take him to the car. Remove him from where he wants to be as a punishment.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:07 AM on Jun. 26, 2008

• At home, we have been using the play pen as a time-out. My daughter has never liked the play pen so it's nice to finally get some use out of it! So when she throws a tantrum I warn her that if she doesn't stop then she is going into time-out (I point at the play pen). If she continues then I put her in and ignore her crying (there are a few soft toys in there to comfort her and they don't hurt if she decides to chuck them at us). She used to scream her head off when I put her in, but now she calms down after a couple minutes and then waits patiently for me to take her out. It's getting better too... all I have to do is point at the play pen and she calms down (well, sometimes). Good luck!
    msp12r

Answer by msp12r at 10:25 AM on Jun. 26, 2008

• Be firm he is testing new grounds. If he throws a fit in the store just pick him up and leave it will show him the you are not going to give in. If he starts to throw one at home put him somewhere to calm down and let him know that when he is done he can come out. If he is hitting then you can hold his arms down untill you get him to a safe place for a time out where he will not hurt you. Just don't give in or it will get worse, it is normal for a child to experiment and test you. :o)
    nikkeed

Answer by nikkeed at 12:42 PM on Jun. 26, 2008