How do you make spaghetti?

My husband told me my spaghetti was good but boring. What can I do to change it up. I hate Italian sausage.

twinsnseptember

Asked by twinsnseptember at 12:51 PM on Feb. 11, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I use Ragu flavored with meat. Then I had in some parmesan cheese, a few dashes of parsley, about half that amount of basil and just a little oregano. Then a few sprinkles of garlic salt. I also cook up a pound of ground beef and add that too it. It's easy, quick and sooo yummy!
    things_not_sane

Answer by things_not_sane at 12:54 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I usually make a spaghetti casserole.

Anonymous

• I sauté some garlic, onion, peppers and tomatoes and add them to any sauce I use. Adding spices helps as well.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 12:57 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I hate store bought sauce.
    Well for my spaghetti sauce I start with a pound of Italian sausage and brown it. Drain the grease and add a medium finely chopped onion and five cloves of crushed garlic, I use a garlic press. Cook until the onion is translucent and then add two large cans of crushed tomatoes. You can use diced stewed tomatoes also. Also a medium can of tomato paste. Add two tablespoons of basil. I like fresh, but dried is nice too. Add salt and pepper to taste. The secret is to add two tbsp of balsamic vinegar. Simmer for 20 minutes and it is ready! Add some nice garlic bread and enjoy!
    You can other things like Italian seasoning if you like, but not too much. Also if you like you can add things like olives, black or green, sauteed onions, and fresh chopped tomatoes.
    Use ground beef, instead of sausage.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:01 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I do spaghetti bakes. layer cooked noodles in deisres size baking dish. then put cheeses pour over sauce, and repeat till you are at the top of the dish. make sure the sauce layer is the top one. back at 375 for about 20 minutes if everything was still warm when you put it together. once it is hot enough put a good thick layer cheese over the top . melt in oven and YUMMY
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 1:02 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I usually use it as a side dish (or as a "bed" for the main course), and make it with breaded chicken breast (chicken parmesan), or with baked/grilled shrimp (or other seafood), or with grilled turkey meatballs--with or without sauce--not limited to red sauce--you can use a creamy alfredo or pesto sauce to "jazz" it up a bit--and don't forget the basil and oregano! :o)

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:04 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Damn, I was all set to answer until you said you hated sausage, I make THE BEST sausage sauce....
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:23 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 3:18 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I take about 1 lb ground bison (it's more flavorful that ground beef and healthier), brown it in a skillet with a little bit of crushed garlic and a diced onion til it's done. Add in 2 of the larger cans of tomato sauce, 1 tbsp brown sugar or molasses (to cut the acidity of the canned tomatoes), 1 tbsp mrs dash italian seasoning, 1-2 tsp good balsamic vinegar (depending on your tastes), 1 tsp each onion powder, garlic powder, and dried tarragon leaves, and 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (or more if you like spicy). Let it simmer for about 10 minutes and then taste it. If it still is too acidic from the tomatoes, add in another tsp of sugar or molasses. If it needs more seasoning, start with the italian and add a little more. If it needs more "depth" add a pinch of ground cumin. It's a pretty versatile recipe and I always get compliments on it.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 8:13 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I serve this it over broccoli (and I make double the sauce).
    Pasta and Tofu with Finger-Licking Peanut Sauce
    1/2 cup low or no sodium vegetable broth
    1/4 cup chunky peanut butter (I use smooth)
    1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
    3 tablespoons brown sugar
    2 tablespoons rice vinegar
    2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger
    2 teaspoons chile paste with garlic (add to taste, it is pretty spicey)
    4 garlic cloves, minced
    8 ounces uncooked whole wheat angel hair
    1 pound firm tofu, drained and cubed (optional)
    1 cup (2-inch) sliced green onions
    1 cup shredded carrot

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 5:25 AM on Feb. 12, 2010