Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do i have to be present when my dh files our taxes?

Im a stay at home mom i havent worked all year my dh and i are rying to have a trail seperation we plan on filing jointly this year, do i need to be with him? Id really like to be here asap and if i dont have to be her im not going to

Answer Question

Asked by AtticusJsmum at 1:01 PM on Feb. 11, 2010 in Money & Work

Level 1 (2 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • yes,you have to sign the papers in front of the preparer

    Answer by TMJ121099 at 1:05 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

  • YOu dont have to be there when they figure the taxes but you do have to sign something. Its a joint you have to at least sign it. One yr my husband& I couldnt find a sitter so I went up & had them do the taxes & then he went up the next day & signed them. Ask if you can do it that way.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:05 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

  • my dh takes all my papers in when he gets his taxes done, they prepare mine and I come in later to sign everything.

    he went in last night - put all the stuff in, and I'm going in later today to sign my papers.

    Answer by hypermamaz at 1:13 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

  • no you don't have to be present to file, but yes you do have to sign the paperwork, just a tip, don't EVER file married filing seperately, 8 out of 10 are called to audit because there are so many restrictions, and if you file MFS neither of you get the EIC

    Answer by southernstyle88 at 1:13 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

  • You don't have to be there but you need to sign them. My parents do this, my dad goes, brings them home for her to sign then returns and has their accountant efile them

    Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:21 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

  • haha. Sorry, but that first answer is just funny. We send the returns to the client who then signs and mails the return. Like the other posters have said, you just have to sign it before it is mailed. If you efile, you don't have to sign unless you have a tax preparer, then you have to sign a paper saying you approve of them e-filing your return.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:29 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

  • If you are filing jointly, you need to sign the return

    Answer by rkoloms at 5:04 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.