Can I or can I not?

I have heard numerous times that when a baby is a year old you can give a small amount of honey to help with a cough and then I have heard you have to wait til they are 2....so what age can you? My son is 13 months now and has a terrible cold.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:01 PM on Feb. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• stick with a vaporizer or humidifier.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 1:04 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Take him to the Dr for a cough suppressant. if you tell the Dr you want to give your son honey, he'll whip out his prescription pad.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 1:17 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• They have natural medicine for babies with colds, and it is made with honey. I would call and ask the doctor to be safe...but I gave my kids that natural medicine. You can go to ehow.com how to help a cough in a child or something like that. They have alot of home remedys on there.
    GotToHaveFaith

Answer by GotToHaveFaith at 1:23 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• You should not do honey til 2. Botulism is a risk.

Honestly a rub and vaporizer should be good enough.

Cough suppressants should only be given at night if the child is having a ton of trouble sleeping or if the child is in extreme pain from too much coughing during the day.

I would go to the doctor if the baby has trouble sleeping 2 or more nights in a row to get a suppressant or suggestions about natural suppressants you can give.

Anonymous

• Btw, the rub should only be BABY rub not regular VICKS rub. In rare instances regular vicks rub can cause kidney failure or trouble breathing in children under 2. Better safe than sorry.
    Anonymous