Trying to understand ......

I thought breast fed babies are supposedly healthier than formula babies ???? Why is it I have several friends that thier babies are seriously sick right now and they are breast fed ?
I formula feed my 4 month old and my 3 year old was Formula fed as well and they were never sick with more than sniffles.
To me that shows it doesn't mean BF babies are healthier than FF babies.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:01 PM on Feb. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You are looking at a very small group of babies. Research shows that formula fed babies have higher rates of things like ear infections and gi problems, for example. If you were to look at 100 breastfed and 100 formula fed babies you might see something like 10 formula fed with ear infections and 5 breastfed with ear infections. So, even though twice as many formula babies have ear infections, if you only have contact with the 90 FF who don't, and 3 of the 5 breastfed who do, you can't really see it.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:09 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Breastfeeding doesn't mean you never get sick, the TREND is that BF babies overall are sick less often and when they do get sick they tend to recover faster (there are antibodies in breastmilk that can never be in formula).

But there are also other factors. Like premature babies are more prone to illness, family history, and even the job the parents have (daycare worker, nurse, etc are in contact with illness more often) and where you live.

You can't look at just your friends, you must look at a larger population sample.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:12 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• They have all the natural things that come with mothers milk...it doesn't meen that thier never going to get sick. Natural food is always best, like eating a fresh killed pig vs one that you get from the store....they are both food, but one has things added to them to keep them fresh looking. I'm not against formula, both my boys had it, but I breast fed my girl cause she didn't like formula. Both boys had alot of ear infection and my girl only had one in two years. I can't say that it's because she was breast fed.
    GotToHaveFaith

Answer by GotToHaveFaith at 1:12 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• lol i agree OP i have noticed the same thing! im getting sick of the bfing advocates on here trying to brain wash people into thinking bfing is the best and only thing for babies well hate to break it to you ladies it's not always the best thing for baby and sometimes formula isnt either but you shouldnt tell people that bm is better then anything else because it's not always and if mom isnt eatting right it really isnt so get off your high horses and join the rest of the world
    Anonymous

• There is no contest between formula and BM. It is impossible for formula to exactly duplicate breastmilk. Formula can't replicate the exact proportions, nor the right kind of base, and certainly not the antibodies and living elements of breastmilk. That's not a judgment, its just a simple fact.

Formula can never be as good as species specific milk because formula has to be made from a different species entirely and is not living or adaptable. In addition, the body is designed to make breastmilk with the vitamins and elements the mother takes in before she uses it for herself -- so while it is good to eat well, if you don't the breastmilk is going to be okay unless the malnutrition is extreme.

It's not a high horse. Just the nature of the beast. The trends seen aren't lip service. It is especially important for premature babies and studies prove this. Again not a judgment, just is.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:36 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• First of all,. Here's the problem: you are comparing breastfeeding to formula, if you think about it, obviously, formula is meant as a substitute to breastfeeding so you having to compare it as a lesser to the other one. BM is the normal food for babies so if you give them something else it's never better for them. No one can argue the opposite.

Secondly, Going with the above knowledge, most likeley her kids would be even MORE sick without the breastmilk. And/or longer illnesses. Breastfeeding provides passive immunity ; go look it up. The child can STILL get sick from contact with outside illnesses. I had SWINE FLU and my breastfeeding daughter never got it, but my FF twin boys DID get sick. There's also GENETICS playing into this situation; genetically your child is probably pre-disposed to having a stronger immunity, or, more likely, your child has simply not been exposed to the illnesses that the others have.
    threeeunder3

Answer by threeeunder3 at 1:37 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Human milk is the standard by which formula is trying to achieve for very important reasons.  Not the other way around.  http://aappolicy.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/pediatrics;100/6/1035

It's the main reason that I think it is absolutely apalling that women who formula feed are often forced to choose formula based on price rather than on which has the most elements or the most easily digestible.  ALL formula should be held to the same standard of easier digestion, rather than someone having to just go with one that causes more gas or constipation or upset stomachs because they can't afford another type.    I think that's apalling of businesses.

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:43 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Why would they make formula to be as close to breastmilk as possible if breastmilk wasn't the best thing out there? Not trying to be "high and mighty" but think about it....if breastfeeding wasn't best than why would formula try to emulate it?
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 1:56 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• First of all for all of the moms who say breastfeeding is better for a baby thats crap. Yes there are antibodies in breast milk and not in formula.But formula fed babies are no healthier or sicker then breast fed babies. And just so people dont complain....This is information coming from a medical book. So I know that it is true.
    Anonymous

• That's not true Anonymous. There are distinct advantages to breastmilk that just aren't in formula that contribute directly to health and recovery rates. Look up the myriad of peer reviewed studies in journals. Just because you don't like hearing it, doesn't make it crap. It is what it is. Not a judgment...just the fact of the matter that species specific milk is going to have specific advantages on health. Breastmilk is the standard that formula tries to attain for a reason!

As a matter of fact, formula advertising is even banned in the UK. If there were no difference at all between formula and breastmilk why would that be so?
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:38 PM on Feb. 11, 2010