Question for Pro-Choicers?

If a test becomes available to let expectant mothers know if their, "fetus," is predisposed to homosexuality, should that mother be allowed to abort the "fetus," on that basis?
If she would abort a "homosexual fetus," does that constitute a "hate crime?"

Does preventing her from doing so impose on a woman's right to choose?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:16 PM on Feb. 11, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• It doesnt matter why a woman wants to abort, its her choice... not yours.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 1:18 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Ugh. What happens if the flying spaghetti monster comes out of my fireplace and chews on the rug?
    Anonymous

• You make me literally SICK
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 1:19 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• No offense, but do you (whomever you are) sit around all day and worry about abortions?

And no matter why a woman decides to abort within the first 12 wks, it is none of my business. However, I will point out that most pro choicers are also pro gay rights, so the odds of that being the decision are slim and none.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 1:21 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• (Really it is none of my business ever - I reread my statement - I just couldn't do it after 12, however, still none of my business)
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 1:23 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• This hypothetical is dumb. It's the woman's right to chose point blank. Furthermore, there is evidence to suggest that homosexuality has everything to do with the mother's hormone levels during pregnancy.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 1:23 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• And no matter why a woman decides to abort within the first 12 wks, it is none of my business. However, I will point out that most pro choicers are also pro gay rights, so the odds of that being the decision are slim and none.

Good point!  OP, a woman's choice is a woman's choice.  Would I abort my child because he had positive markers for Down Syndrome?  No, but some women do choose that.  And I respect their choice.  Would I abort my child because he was going to be gay?  Absolutely not!  And although I definitely wouldn't CONDONE making that choice, I also wouldn't presume to know when to start putting limits on a woman's right to choose, no matter the reason.

motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 1:35 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• If a test becomes available to let expectant mothers know if their, "fetus," is predisposed to homosexuality, should that mother be allowed to abort the "fetus," on that basis? Her choice

If she would abort a "homosexual fetus," does that constitute a "hate crime?" No because if you did then you would have to consider abortion a hate crime everytime. Kill a down syndrome baby that's a hate. Missing limbs - same thing.

Does preventing her from doing so impose on a woman's right to choose? I personally don't believe in abortion because most women had a choice when they had sex & choose no protection. BUT since women can choose to abort then in this case it shouldn't change just because of the outcome of a test. She still has her right to abort.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 2:04 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• If she would abort a "homosexual fetus," does that constitute a "hate crime?"

I am willing to bet that to some groups, it would..

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:05 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• i think its always the womens choice. personally, i have NOTHING against gay people, i think they are great .. but i think that there life is very hard, sad, and scary most of the time, and if i knew my child was going to be gay if it was before around 9 weeks of pregnancy, i probably would abort it and save us both the heartache. or at least most of it.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 2:05 PM on Feb. 11, 2010