How do I get something made into a law??

I want to bring up the idea (to the gov or whoever can make this possible) that drinking alcohol while being pregnant should be illegal. I just feel like too many people say "it's ok to have one here or there" but they don't always know where to draw the line and then they have trouble with kids in school.
We're having trouble with my 8 y/o step-son because his mother drank heavily while she was pregnant, and he now has and has always had speech, cognitive, social, physical balance, he can't articulate his needs in a way that makes any sense at all, has trouble understanding simple tasks, and fine motor skill problems.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:25 PM on Feb. 11, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• whether or not I could prove that alcohol did that to him, his mother drank heavily and now he's got problems. I never said that she "probably drank" I'm saying she drank heavily. Abortions have nothing to do with mothers drinking, idk why this always ends up off topic, but I personally believe that if a person gives up the "RIGHT" to have their bodies to themselves, then they need to take care of the child(ren) that are inside of them. It's poisonous and dangerous to their babies and I think it's sick that women drink while they're pregnant, whether it's their "right" or not, it shouldn't be. It's your right if it's your body, but it's not just your body when you're sharing it with another person. You wouldn't give your newborn 40 proof, would you? How should drinking and allowing your baby to ingest that while you're pregnant be any more legal than giving your newborn vodka?
    not-so-des-hw

Answer by not-so-des-hw at 12:57 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• Start a support group for parents that have children that have been affected by alcohol abuse during pregnancy. People in the position of power only pay attention to something when it's in volumes. Also, have you considered suing his mother in a civil suit on his behalf?

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 1:31 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I admire your passion, but good luck with that theory
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:34 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• legal
    The problem with suing this mother on behalf of her son would be REALLY hard to prove correlation. Does the OP have conclusive PROOF that the alcohol the mother consumed DIRECTLY lead to her son's developmental disabilities--can the OP prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that GENETICS had nothing to do with her child's disabilities?!

By your reasoning, what's is to stop some person from suing me, because both of my children have developmental disabilities--and I took PERFECT care of my body before, during and after my pregnancies--sometimes genetics plays a bigger role in fetal development, regardless of what you do to maximize development!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:44 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Lori- As always apples to oranges. There is proof that consuming alcohol causes damage to the fetus. We already know the symptoms of fetal alcohol syndrome and if her stepson shows those signs, there is no doubt that alcohol was a major contributor to the disabilities of this child and the mother should have to "pay" for her poor choices that have caused her child's difficulties in developing. This actually isn't a new concept, there have been plenty of cases like this. Some won and some lost.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 1:57 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I'm raising a granddaughter with Fetal Alcohol Exposure. Two different people testified to seeing her sloppy drunk after she knew for a fact she was pregnant. All the genetic and developemental testing came out fine. Basically all other possibilities were eliminated leaving only the alcohol. We were lucky though. She does not have Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, that is far more serious. The geneticist we saw said only one event of binge drinking in the first 12 weeks can cause the issues my granddaughter has. Children affected by alcohol exposure generally have a 'look' about their face. Commonly called 'precious moments" babies. Flat mid face, no nose bridge. Eyes wider set, no or little bow above the lip. Sometimes low set eas, and small heads. Degree of dysmorphoa depends on degree of exposure.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:03 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• LoriKeet-Does the OP have conclusive PROOF that the alcohol the mother consumed DIRECTLY lead to her son's developmental disabilities--can the OP prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that GENETICS had nothing to do with her child's disabilities?!

You dont need to prove that direct causation in some types of tort litigation. You can have multiple factors and still be able to make a claim against one litigant who likely contributed to the tort. And you should do some research on the topic. Fetal alcohol syndrome isnt that difficult to prove. There is even evidence that over-consumption of alcohol by FATHERS at the time of conception also contributes to birth defects, many of which begin to show up later in life because they are related to motorcontrol and speech.

SRiveroC

Answer by SRiveroC at 2:15 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• How do I get something made into a law??

Get yourself a Lobbyist.  But understand that the liqueur industry has very powerful friends on the hill and your request won't go far. 

Anonymous

• urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 2:44 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Such a law would NEVER pass.
    Anonymous