Birthday cake in kids faces

I was at a B-day party last month for a baby and the parents took the cake and smashed it in her face- Seems like I've heard a lot of people talking about that happening lately- is this a new trend?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:36 PM on Feb. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• what?! uhm, that's a little crazy...that doesn't sound like a good trend to be honest. I know I'd never do that to my kid or baby...jeeze. SAD!
    Anonymous

• It's been going on for a while. It is disgusting to me. I feel the same way about newly married couples smashing wedding cake in each others face. It is rude and disrespectful in both places. In MY opinion.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:41 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• My son is 8 and he thinks it would be great if we do it to him on his next birthday. As a baby though, no thanks.
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 1:42 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I don't think I would like that at all...I'd rather just let the baby go at it by themselves and let them get messy on their own.

Well bake a seperate cake of course and have the nicer one ready for the party.

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 1:46 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Almost 40 years ago my parents did that to my sister, 30 years ago to me. I didn't do it to my son, saw no point, but it is not a new trend.
    Anonymous

• Thats like a mexican tradition lol. I'm not mexican, but my husband is, and every birthday party I go to they are always smashing the birthday boy or girls face in the cake. I see nothing wrong with it...it's like people spanking there kids for every year that they have. I would have rather of had the cake on my face instead of the birthday spanken
    GotToHaveFaith

Answer by GotToHaveFaith at 1:56 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Most married couples don't "smash" it in each others faces. They just feed it to them. And at my son's first party my sister in law smeared some on his face because he wasn't doing anything with it-he didn't know to. After that he dug right in. She also did that to her three kids. She didn't smash it in his face but rather let him know he could dig into it.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 2:00 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• op- the baby was very maticulouly picking off one color frosting, then another color, you could tell that she was trying to wipe it off of her hands and face- think they wanted her to look covered with frosting for the pictures-
    Thinking that they thought better of it afterwards...............
    Just wondered if that was something lots of people did-
    Anonymous

• I know people who've done that.

I personally think its disgusting.

my kids didn't make a mess - my SIL tried to jam their hands into the cake and made a huge ruckus when they dug into their birthday cake in a 'clean' way.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 2:11 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• SaraP- in the last 2 years we have attended 9 weddings. Only one was a family member. Seven out of nine of the brides and grooms did SMASH cake in each others faces. They think it's cute or funny or something. It makes them look stupid and childish. In one case the bride and groom had an enormous fight because he got cake on her dress..when we left they were still on opposite sides of the reception. Three of those couples were in the over 30 crowd. The whole idea lacks anything funny about it.

GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:46 PM on Feb. 11, 2010