Anyone keep their baby's name a secret?

It took SO and I a very long time to come up with a name for our second son, but we finally agreed on a first name last week. Everyone in our families knows that we had been having some trouble with this and have been offering suggestions. Well, I told my MIL that we had decided on a first name but that we're keeping it a surprise and she just won't let it go! First she was mad at me for letting her know the sex, and now she's mad because I won't tell her his name! She's even hounding my almost 4yo about it! I want my son to know his baby brother's name, of course, but at the same time, I don't want my MIL to find out from asking him.
How can I let her know that we're serious about keeping the name to ourselves until he's born? (With our first boy, she insisted she didn't want to know the sex and as a result chose our theme and everything she bought us was yellow giraffes... just so you know what we're dealing with lol!)

motherofanaries

Asked by motherofanaries at 1:45 PM on Feb. 11, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I'd tell her it's none of her business!
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 1:50 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• We kept our names a secret, I only discussed with my trusted best friend. But your mistake was telling her you decided, I told everyone we still had a few we were trying to decide on even though we were sure. Just tell her that since the sex was not a surprise, you want the name to be a surprise and it will make the day he's born more fun for everyone.

A big reason we kept our names secret is because I didn't want to hear everyone and their mother's opinions about how they HATE that name, or they went to high school with a bitch with that name, etc.... once the baby is born, everyone is very polite about the name, even if they hate it, but for some reason, before the baby is born they feel free to tell you how awful it is. lol.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:51 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• We kept our baby names a secret both times. It's no one else's business. EVERYONE bugged the snot out of us about wanting to know the name, even down to guessing random names and seeing my reaction. We stood firm and no one knew the names until the day they were born. Tell her you're not telling and that's that. If she doesn't like that, tell her to build a bridge and get over it.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 1:56 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I have never understood what the big deal in letting people know what you are going to name your child. I mean It's not going to be a secret once everyone comes to meet him. I say just tell her she is the Grandmother, and if you are afraid that people won't like the name then too bad for them. They are still going to call him by the name you and your s/o chose.

cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 1:59 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• yep, we told everyone it was a boy, but not his name
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:00 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Well, it's easy for me not to tell HER, but she keeps asking our son about it. If you ask him directly he'll say "I don't know" and if you ask him "Is your baby brother's name (whatever she's guessing)?" half the time he'll say yes, and half the time no. But I *DO* want him to know and remember his brother's name before we have the baby, and that's the part that bothers me. He sees my MIL all the time and stays over almost every other weekend and I want her to leave him alone about it!
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 2:02 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• just tell her anything to shut her up, lol
    StarrCooKie

Answer by StarrCooKie at 2:06 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• We have done that with both our kids. My SIL and BIL are always trying to take our kids names. When then are pregnant. They will ask us what names we have picked out. they are still bugging us about our boys name. Still will not tell them because it is the only name we can come up with together. Every time they have a child. When they tell us the baby's name they will ask if they took our name. Is ignoring.

Anonymous

• We're keeping the names a secret this time around. With our last two when we told they gave us a look of disappointment. My DH's side of the family wants us to carry on the family name because his other two brother aren't going to be having children but we don't want to. So when they hear that we aren't naming our kid M****** A**** they're disappointed.
    So whenever we are asked if we've picked any names yet we always, always say that we're still thinking about it. :-)
    SabrinaLC

Answer by SabrinaLC at 4:05 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Just give her a fake name and then say you changed your mind at the last minute. As long as she doesn't have anything made with his name on it, it should be fine.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 7:11 PM on Feb. 11, 2010