Do babysitters clean when they're at your house?

I had someone I used to go to school with watch my son today so I could go to school. I can home early to find out she'd cleaned. She did dishes, cleaned my counters (arranged would be more appropriate I guess) and vacuumed. I only had a couple dishes in the sink and the counters were messy. I just moved into this place so things are a bit disorganized right now. Do you think she did it because she thought my house was messy?

SaraP1989

Asked by SaraP1989 at 1:46 PM on Feb. 11, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I used to do that as a teen when I babysat. It was never because I thought it was messy. If anything I did it to make sure next time she needed a sitter she called me. It worked too. I uused to be booked up weeks iin advance. I would just say thanks and let it go at that.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:50 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• She was probably trying to make a good impression.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:51 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• No just trying to be nice. Some have at my house, if they were so inclined..it has never been a requirement though.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:51 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• She probably just did it to pass the time. I use to be a nanny for a couple families. Unless they specifically asked me not to clean I would to make the time go quicker. Just like any job, you want to stay busy so if the kids were napping I didn't want just sit there.
    momof2il

Answer by momof2il at 1:53 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Our sitter does any dishes she or the kids use and she cleans up any toys they play with, she definitely doesn't need to do that, but it definitely does make a good impression...although, we're just happy to get out once in a while, she could trash the place, as long as the kids are safe, and we'd still be thrilled to get out =)
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:53 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• When I was younger and babysat, I always cleaned whoever's house I was sittin' at. I didn't do it because I thought "wow these people are messy" ...I did it because it would be a nice surprise for them to come home to, with dishes done and trash taken out, movies put back on the shelf, etc! I wouldn't worry about it! Enjoy it and have her babysit again! haha
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 1:54 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I thnk she was doing somehting nice for you. i hope you tipped her. our sitters only cleaned if i asked them to and paid them to. that is septerate work
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 2:00 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I didn't pay her at all. She was doing it as a favor for me because mine quit on me last week.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 2:02 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• No, that's normally part of babysitting, but it is a great perk when it happens!
    Anonymous

• I think she is a very sweet helpful mature person who knows that ALL Moms need some help. I never had a babysitter who was that considerate. You are so lucky!
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 2:53 PM on Feb. 11, 2010