Am i the only one that thinks this whole princess thing is so cliche for a girl?

I cant count how many woman i know with little girls who use the princess theme or call their daughter a princess or use it for bday party decorations,dont get me wrong i love disney princess i grew up watching the movies and my daughter weill to..but i think the whole princess thing is too much,also i think most little girls that u say r a princess are very bratty and rude

mommy16love

Asked by mommy16love at 2:04 PM on Feb. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• My daughter use to think her name was Princess. Though she is not a brat at all. It depends on how their raised. She's well mannered. Parents just have to be parents instead of trying to always please their kids.

SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 2:07 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Yes, its over used, but if that is what your daughter loves are you going to say no because you don't like it? I remember cringing when I bought my daughter her first set of character PJs, Dora, I HATED them, but they made her the happiest little girl in the world. I quickly grew to love them =)
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 2:10 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I personally am pretty happy I had a boy. I can't STAND all the pinkness and tutus and princess crap for girls. If my second one is going to be a girl, I have every intention of avoiding the color pink and anything "princess" or even worse, "diva" related like the plague.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 2:11 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Anouck I said the same thing about a girl. Well 6 yrs later and my oldest loves pink and my youngest loves the princesses. So never say never. I have grown to like pink and I am not going to stop my girls from having the things they love.

Anonymous

• Call me strange, but I actually love the princess phenomenon and am really happy to be raising a girl now. I think it's adorable to see them playing make believe in their princess dresses. I'm a girly girl at heart, and so are my daughters, so we have a blast doing the whole princess bit.
    Anonymous

• Both my daughters loved princesses. Both had a princess themed party. My younger daughter would play dress up daily she would be a princess and I would have to call her by her princess name Pocahontas or Ariel, Cinderella etc. My daughters both have a healthy balance. Both girls do think they are princesses and they are now 19 and 17 to their father and I they are! They get excellent grades in school, are very respectful do not get into any trouble. Nothing is wrong with having a girl y girl. I LOVE IT. My husband and I have twin boys who are 5 they are totally opposite they love getting dirty, playing sports and that is fine with me too.
    mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 2:53 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• My daughter thinks it's lame.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 2:58 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Its funny I was always against the whole princess thing too, hated when people called their kids that and hated the whole idea of it mostly because of some grown women that I know who still call themselves that! I tried to avoid it but my daughter just loves the disney princesses, through no fault of my own, she got a huge wall sticker as a gift and everyone keeps giving her princess dolls, etc. I don't think its a big deal now because she calls herself a princess at the age of 2 1/2 and loves to dress like one. At this point its cute but I certainly won't encourage it when she's older!
    coppersoul

Answer by coppersoul at 3:12 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I have 2 boys, no girls, thank goodness,and whenever I hear "Princess" I cringe. It conjures up images of spoiled rotten little Daddy's girls who whine and cry and have to have everything their own way. No thanks.
    Anonymous

• I don't mind Disney stuff, but I can't stand the princess thing. Someone called my 18 month old DD the other day and I cringed. I did dress her in pink, which I said I never would, but she doesn't need to be spoiled like that. I'm girly enough, and so is she (she loves playing mommy with dolls, but also likes cars and blocks)
    musichollie

Answer by musichollie at 4:03 PM on Feb. 11, 2010