Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What are you thoughts on this one???

My dh got a call the othr day from his ex saying that their daughter got a ticket for speeding (she lives with her and pretty much lets her do what she wants) he pays c/s and now she wants him to pay half...which he is going to pay he has no choice if he was to say no she would find another thing to come up with to make him pay. So now he is feeling down bc we thought we were going to have extra cash and now he has to pay this ticket he was pretty upset with his dd. He has no say so on where she goes bc 1. she lives w/mom 2. she doesn't feel dad needs to know where she is. (she's 18) I just think it is strange that when she got the ticket she did not say a word about it ( I guess she thought it would go away) but instead now there is a warrant out for her and of course the ticket gets higher :( In my opinion I think the mom should pay for all of it. She acts like we have money coming out the ass!!! Thanks!

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:10 PM on Feb. 11, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

Answers (18)
  • Why is you DH paying child support for an 18 year old? She should pay her own ticket.

    Answer by GothicMommy3 at 2:11 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

  • ive had many speeding tickets, it happens sometimes.
    sometimes when your a parent you dont have extra money because it goes to your kid.
    its not the daughters fault that she lives with her mom, and its not the moms fault either. kids usually belong with there moms. that doesnt mean her father should be responsible financially and yes she is 18 which is technically an adult, but mentally - 18 year olds usually are still children.

    Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 2:12 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

  • gothic - you pay child support for a child until they graduate college, if they are in college.
    at 18, im sure its hard for her to be able to support herself especially in this economy, so if she cant pay the ticket, she cant pay it. why would her parents let her get arrested for that if they have the extra money to help her out?

    Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 2:13 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

  • HE DOES NOT HAVE TO PAY FOR HER TICKET. HE DOES NOT HAVE TO PAY CHILD SUPPORT AFTER SHE IS 18. The DAUGHTER is the ONLY one responsible for the ticket. I would tell the ex to f- OFF!

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:14 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

  • She does not have a job (yet) and he got alittle behind :( Believe me she got a butt chewing...I felt bad for her but hey welcome to the real world chaulk it up as a lesson learned.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:14 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

  • Well 1. He should not be paying child support when she is 18 unless he was told to pay back support. and 2. She is 18!! she should pay her own damn ticket. Thats what I had to do when i got my first one. And i only got a fix it ticket.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:17 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

  • It's all the daughter shoulders. He doesn't have to do anything. She's 18 and considered an adult.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:18 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

  • She's 18 and needs to put on her big girl panties. SHE got the ticket SHE is responsible for it being paid. If your DH wants to pay for the ticket her should also take away the car keys. While I admire that he loves his child it is time for tough love. They need to know that daddy isn't always there to bail her out. Go to court if you have to. The ex can't just demand money other than c/s that I know of. Let her stand on her own 18 year old feet.

    Answer by 2autisticsmom at 2:21 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

  • She needs to pay for the ticket. In some cases, a child can get child support until they are 21. You need to work it out that the daughter pays for it in the end. If that means that you have to foot half of the bill now then so be it but make sure she pays that back to you and her father.


    Answer by legalmommy101 at 2:22 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

  • Child support ends at the end of their high school years. You don't get it in college unless the child is under 18. Also make her go to court. She's the one with a warrent out and she's the one that needs to pay it. Yes there is a chance that she could go to jail for it but chances are they're going to give her community service and still make her pay it. If she's old enough to drive then she's old enough to pay her own tickets.

    Answer by baconbits at 3:07 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.