boys playing with baby dolls

Im cleaning out an old chest of mine, and it had some of the dolls that ive collected over the years. Well one, my son grabbed, he's almost two, and ran off with it. When I tried to take it, he cried non stop until I gave it back. (lol) But my brothers were always yelled at for playing with my dolls, so Im not really sure if I should let him play with it or not?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:11 PM on Feb. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I let my two year old play with one of my old dolls. He loves it. I think it teaches him about babies-since he's my only one.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 2:13 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Do you want him to be a great father with empathy for others and a nurturing side to him? Then let him play with it.
    Do you want him to be a big manly man the only disciplines and isn't super nurturing towards his kids? Then don't let him.

Well, these may not exactly happen, but, why not let him play with it and teach empathy and tendernass?
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:14 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• i have two boys and a girl and my boys played with their sisters toys and my girl played with her brothers toys! there is nothing wrong with it! Ignorant people see it wrong............ let kids be kids he is so young right now he doesnt know! let your baby PLAY! take care :)
    gonzalez3

Answer by gonzalez3 at 2:15 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• children have no concept of gender specific toys till adults tell them
    let him play with the doll
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:15 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• My son plays with his big sisters toys and dolls all the time, she also plays with his cars and trucks, etc... for x-mas last year I got him his own baby doll, he loves to play daddy as much as she loves to play mommy, I think its great and really think its AWFUL and incredibly ignorant to not allow it... FWIW, a couple weeks ago DD had me paint her toenails hot pink....guess who was in line to have his done right after? They looked so cute =)
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 2:19 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Don't you remember My Buddy, the boy counterpart to Kid Sister? There should be more dolls marketed toward boys I think. My son doesn't have any dolls, but he had plenty of stuffed animals that do the trick. When our friends had a new baby and we found out we were having # 2 not long later my son started "taking care of" his stuffed animals, feeding them pretend bottles, putting them to sleep etc. I did not introduce him to this type of play, he started doing it on his own. And I think it's going to make him a GREAT big brother, to be honest!
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 2:22 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Boys of that age playing with dolls is perfectly healthy and normal.
    Anonymous

• Why not?  I know my husband played a big role in taking care of our son.  If Maddox wants to play with dolls and practice being a "good daddy" I'll be fine with it.  Outdated gender roles should not be foisted upon our children.  Here is a great article called Real Boys Play With Dolls.

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 2:48 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• If he wants to play with it nurturingly and not rip its arms off and throw it down the stairs like my brother did to my dolls .. lol ... I say go for it! :)

If he gets too rough with the dolls it'll be a good opportunity to emphasise gentleness with babies. If he's nurturing it'll be good practice for a sibling or his future.

It's not going to make him gay, if that's what you were thinking..
    Anonymous

• My two year old boy/girls twins both play with baby dolls. They put them in strollers and race around the house (I had to go buy a second doll stroller because they kept fighting over it). They pretend to feed them, pretend to make them go night-night, pretend to have them go to the potty, ect. My son also copies Daddy - I caught him feeding a baby doll a bottle with one hand while he worked on his car with play tools with the other hand. I think it's great.

Also, they have baby dolls in the classrooms at my kids' daycare and all the kids play with them. I think it is very normal.
    Anonymous