My 5month old is very conjested, we have tried saline drops humidifiers and nothing seems to help. does anyone have any suggestions? our doctor says there is no concern unless she has a fever which she doesnt. what should i do?

reggiboo

Asked by reggiboo at 2:17 PM on Feb. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• put her in the shower with you (warm enough for her) the heat should break up some of the congestion
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 2:19 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Sit in the bathroom with hot water running in the shower. Thats what I had to do with my son. Turned on only the hot water then played with him in there for about 10 min. It worked great.
    Anonymous

• you shouldn't worry about her until she starts having trouble eating or can't eat, and/or if she has a fever. I"m assuming it's a cold...and although it's tough to see, your little one will still be conjested, but it will get better and start clearing up. It can take a couple of weeks.
    Anonymous

• My son is 4 months and he was congested for awhile, they told me it was a cold..use a cool mist humidifier, saline drops, and keep him suctioned. Well...he started having rapid breathing one night and I took him to the ER. They did EVERYTHING to find out what was going on with him - they gave him 2 breathing treatments, a RSV test, and a chest x-ray and it showed that he had developed pneumonia. If this does not go away, ask that they do an x-ray. My son's condition was over looked and could have cause big problems if not found when it was.
    This was after 3 visits to his pediatrician. Who listened to his heart and sent him home saying he had a cold, then a virus. Even when I took him for a follow-up/recheck (and brought the x-rays) they ignored the pneomonia and continued to say he had a virus - they just didnt know what kind and the symptoms could continue 4-5 weeks,
    Since then I have changed Dr.'s!! Good Luck
    Maya09

Answer by Maya09 at 3:11 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• We were on an "every 2 week cycle" with that rotten cold thing. Nothing worked great. Just use the saline stuff, the nose sucker, humidifier, and we even tried the shower thing. We did prop her up on a pillow and while we normally would not let her sleep with us, we did then so we could keep her on the pillow. THAT worked the best. DON"T put it in the crib with her. (just a little disclaimer there) I also gave her Motrin some. You know they have to have a monster headache just like we do when we have all that congestion. Hang in there. It'll get better.
    Anonymous