How hard is it to fake being Catholic?

I'm not Catholic nor have I ever been baptized, yet for various reasons am interested in raising my kids Catholic. However, I really do not want to go through RCIA classes myself. What I would really like to know is if it is possible to just learn the motions to do during mass, so that I look like I'm a Catholic. If I try to become a member of the church will they ask for official "Catholic papers" or just take me at my word that I'm already Catholic?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:22 PM on Feb. 11, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Why "fake" it?

I don't understand.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 2:26 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I think you can just go....but if you want to raise your kids that way, then you should practice to. My husband thinks he's catholic and had our sons bapitized when they were around a year old. I didn't care cause I don't believe that that baptizem counts. you are baptized when you have sinned and want to give your life to God, not when you are a baby and don't understand whats going on. I will give my kids the choice to be baptized when thier older, in another church. If you want the kids to be catholic, then you need to be catholic. If you want to be "lazy" and not learn, then don't make your kids learn. Or just drop them off at church and pick them up after classes are over. Do you really want to lie infront of Gods face? You don't have to go to church with them.
    GotToHaveFaith

Answer by GotToHaveFaith at 2:30 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Because generally to become Catholic as an adult you have to go through a long class (the RCIA) that lasts about a year, then get baptized, confirmed, etc. I really don't want to go through all that. I could go into all my reasons, but that's really not the point. I'm just wondering if the Catholic Church keeps papers on people that one would need to show to become a member of a Catholic Church. For example, Catholic schools generally charge more tuition for non-catholic families than catholic, and I know that they actually require proof of being Catholic by contacting the diocese for baptism/confirmation papers, so I'm wondering if the same happens when trying to join a church.
    Anonymous

• There is no need to fake it. Once you start attending mass regularly you will learn "the motions."
    Anonymous

• You wont fake it... God will know your heart so you cannot fake anything to Him.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:56 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Why fake it? I don't get it. If you don't want to be Catholic, then don't be. You don't have to be Catholic to raise your kids in the Catholic faith. I have a friend whose kids go to Catholic school and are being raised Catholic, yet the mom has never converted. Sure, it makes it easier to explain things to them when it comes time for sacraments, etc, but you can still go to mass and participate and not be Catholic. The only thing you cannot do is go to communion.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 3:04 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• "For example, Catholic schools generally charge more tuition for non-catholic families than catholic, and I know that they actually require proof of being Catholic by contacting the diocese for baptism/confirmation papers, so I'm wondering if the same happens when trying to join a church."

But if you are a member of a parish, and your kids are being raised Catholic, then you are considered Catholic for most schools. If you're raising your kids Catholic just to get them into Catholic school though... that just seems like a waste of time to me. Don't lie and say you are Catholic though, that's just wrong. Just tell the parish that you want your kids to learn the faith, and go from there.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 3:07 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• You don't need to fake it. You are welcome to come to mass regardless of your background. They only want you to go to RCIA classes if you want to. My husband is Lutheran/Baptist and has considered going to RCIA classes but hasn't yet. No one has approached him or asked him what religion he is.   You can get as involved in the church as you are confortable with at the time.  Most Church's have classes for kids and adults, outside RCIA , if you are interested in just learning and getting your feet wet about the faith. 

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:11 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• For your kids to make their First Holy Communion then the Church would want to know they were Baptised. This doesn't mean you have to be Baptised yourself. I don't know how old your kids are, but you would not have to go through RICA classes for this. It would help if a family member were Catholic, but my husband isn't Catholic and our kids have been raised Catholic.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:15 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• you will be asked for "Catholic" papers or at least the date and/or parish you or your husband were baptised
    Anonymous