Do you think I am a bad mother? What changes would you make?

What can you do when your dh is a drinker and holds somewhat of a job and I go to work but I have 2 teenagers from a previous marriage (17 & 18) So by the time I get home it is late my kids are at home alone but I am ok with them bringing friends over as long as I know and they behaive themselves...I am not stupid but I know there is sex going on...but yet I have to take care of me and my man we love to go out drinking but we are responsible people well my dh likes to get too drunk and I have to drive us home. But I guess what I am trying to say I feel bad that my kids are at home alone even though I know they are fine...Am I being a bad mom? Sometimes after work I meet my dh for drinks and come home late.
Thanks! :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:24 PM on Feb. 11, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• well, you won't be winning any Mom of the Year awards I guess.
    Anonymous

• Your kids are old enough to be home alone, and as long as they're staying out of trouble (in school, with drugs, and the law) I'd say you're fine. But since you KNOW they're having sex, I hope that if you have daughters you've got them on birth control and if you have sons you keep them supplied with condoms!
    Anonymous

• Recipe for disaster. You will be called "Grandma & Grandpa" if you continue allowing this to go on.
    Aprilmorgans

Answer by Aprilmorgans at 2:27 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• OP:Yes I do but isn't that like saying here and go have all the sex you want....but I know I don't want to be a grandmother.
    Anonymous

• No, keeping your kids educated about safe sex isn't the same telling them to go do it. Since you can't stop them at this point, you might as well do everything you can to keep them protected.
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 2:30 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• "but we are responsible people well my dh likes to get too drunk and I have to drive us home."

I'd say you are a BAD MOTHER and a bad person for letting someone get behind the wheel when they've been drinking. You are not "taking care" of your man by letting him drive home drunk with you in the car or without you. I really think you need to check yourself and what your priorities are. You are putting people's lives at risk because of your stupidity. I would like nothing better to see people like you and your poor excuse for a man behind bars for life.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 2:31 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I would say if this is an every night thing that you guys are going out, then that should stop and you should be home a bit more for them. If they are going to go to college in the next year or 2 do your going out then while they are gone. You will regret it later. Not trying to come across as being mean or anything. If you guys like to have your drinks, maybe do it at home that way you are there w/ your kids, its safer and cheaper. jmo.
    Anonymous

• Is this a joke?
    If you're saying in your off time you go out and party, then how can you say you're concerned about not being there for your kids? If you were so concerned, you'd be home whenever able.
    DaphneMae

Answer by DaphneMae at 3:48 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• This has got to be a joke. I'm thinking TROLL people. This seems like a post just to get us riled about about the fact that her 17 and 18 yr old kids having sex, her drinking instead of parenting, drunk driving etc.

DON'T FEED THE TROLL!!!!
    Anonymous

• Yeah I agree this has to be a joke. I mean if you were to answer this question seriously, OMG, where would you start? The unsupervised kids? The drinking and driving by the "responsible" parents? I could go on.
    Anonymous