back/hip pain & sleep--or lack thereof.

I am 24 weeks pregnant with twin girls. I can live with them zooming around kicking and punching while i'm lay9ing down at night trying to sleep...the only thing i cannot put up with anymore is the hip pain.

it is excrutiating. i will go to sleep on one side of my body- and wake up 40 mn later in such pain in my hip that i can hardly turn to my other side. So, i will turn to my other side, and wake up again about an hr later in the same pain, just onthe other hip.

PLEASE HELP ME. i cant sleep on my back/stomach...i can barely sleep on my sides...

i have tried the pillow in between my knees- and it does not help. Sleep has become a distant memory--and i'm starting to target my snoring husband!!!!! lol...

fratwins

Asked by fratwins at 2:26 PM on Feb. 11, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I experienced the same kind of pain, every hour on the hour at night, while preggo with my twins. The only thing that helped me a little was propping a fat pillow b/n my legs to take some of the pressure off the hip. GL
    jreneei

Answer by jreneei at 2:29 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Sorry momma, but that's just the way it is! Not only is your pelvis loosening up, but the extra weight is putting a TREMENDOUS strain on your hips. I have trouble sleeping for the same reasons, and my SO has taken to sleeping on the couch because I'm rolling over at least every hour. I've heard some people suggest sleeping in a recliner if you have one, but I don't have one, so I don't know if it works! You're more than halfway there, though!
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 2:29 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• What about sleeping in a chair? just lean it back vary slitely so it's not making you lay on your back too much. And put your feet up.
    Anonymous

• Oh yeah! They're right, I did sleep in the recliner every once in a while when I could tell I was buggy DH with my tossing and turning. Definitely less pain in the chair.
    jreneei

Answer by jreneei at 2:33 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• See a chiroprator.
    Anonymous

• I misaligned my hip a couple of years ago and had a problem with sleeping bc of it. Do you have a recliner? That really helps. You are on your back but not lying flat so you should be ok. I even was able to turn to the side and draw my legs up almost like I was in bed. If you don't have a recliner they have some triangle wedges that create a recliner-like position in the bed. It's in the As Seen on TV stores. I just found this online too to show you the picture and the company that makes it. http://www.relaxtheback.com/contoursleep-bed-wedge-system-product-6393508

Answer by admckenzie at 3:05 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I guess I should have read other posts to see others already brought up the recliner idea. Sorry!

Answer by admckenzie at 3:06 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Hip pain is normal during pregnancy. According to the American Pregnancy Association, gentle stretches such as those used in yoga may be helpful for easing hip pain. Additionally, Warm baths and compresses can be helpful in alleviating hip pain during pregnancy. Swimming or exercising in the water may also help relieve the hip pain. In fact, swimming is a doctor-recommended exercise for pregnant women. Being in the water helps take the pressure off the joints. Sitting and sleeping in a good position and posture is also important. The risky hip replacement surgery is rarely an option for pregnant women. Watch out for flawed hip devices like the recalled DePuy hip replacement devices.

CatRus09

Answer by CatRus09 at 3:13 PM on Apr. 20, 2012