What would you/would you not buy used (baby gear)?

There's a big church consignment sale coming up and we're going to be ttc very shortly. I would like to go ahead and collect a few things and I don't have anything left from the older children.

Would you buy a....

stroller

bumbo seat

crib

bassinet

swing

baby carrier (wrap or sling)

Thanks, looking for some ideas on what I could pick up.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:30 PM on Feb. 11, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I really would not buy most of that used. Unless I knew very well who I was getting it from and even then I'd still be on the fence about it. Car seats and beds, I just could not bring myself to get used. Wraps and swings, you'd have to clean and inspect it so carefully. The only thing I've ever gotten used is clothes - mostly for safety reasons. You never really know if something was damaged by a previous owner. Obviously it's up to you. I'd just make sure that if you do get some of those things used, clean and look them over very carefully.
    Anonymous

• I got a bunch of those items used, with my very unexpected 3rd child, but they were from a former co-worker. Actually, all those items sound fine, just thoroughly clean/wash them.
    Anonymous

• All the thing you mentioned sound fine.I mean, if they are clean and safe why not? I would be careful not to buy a used car seat because you never know if its been through a wreck or not.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 2:32 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Just make sure the crib is up to current safety standards, but everything else should be fine!
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 2:34 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• That is true, it is important to check for recalls.

justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 2:36 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I would not buy a used car seat. And crib, I agree, make sure it's current with safety standard. The other stuff... sure why not.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:49 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I'd have no problem with any of them. The only thing I would worry about is if a car seat had been in an accident or not. We got ours used but bought it off of someone we knew so there was no worry there.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 2:59 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Many of the older cribs have been recalled - almost all of the ones with dropped sides which was fairly standard for years. And I wouldn't buy a used carseat, because you never know if it's been in an accident and I've heard you should get a new one after any kind of wreck, but the other things - absolutely!

Answer by missanc at 3:00 PM on Feb. 11, 2010