Would someone please tell me the good, bad, and ugly about becoming a Mary Kay consultant?

Someone is trying pretty hard to recruit me and I only plan to do the business in a passive manner. Is it worth it to do it that way?
She said it's just $100.00 to start up, but are there any other hidden costs? Do I need to buy inventory? Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:39 PM on Feb. 11, 2010 in Money & Work

• I am a Mary Kay rep and will answer all the questions I can. You can do your business anyway that you want to. You can do classes, parties, etc.. There is the $100 start up fee for your kit, the only other thing is that if you want to have a website thats additional, and if you want to charge credit cards there is an extra fee for that. But you don't have to do either. You have to obviously purchase your catalogs, which are 10 for $3.50. They really recommend you buy the inventory, I however didn't, only because I didn't know how many customers I would really have. It was scary to me. My rep wasn't too happy about that, but I did speak w/ a friend of mine that is a director and she said she has seen a lot of girls that have had great success w/out buying the inventory. Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions. Tiffany
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 2:50 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I considered Mary Kay, and I've heard they are a good company. My aunt sold it for several years. They have great products, but I didn't want to be in a popular business in my small town. That's when I found Scentsy. Not too many people have heard of it. I'm in no way trying to talk you out of Mary Kay, but just give you some alternate options. You can do both, Mary Kay and Scentsy. If you're looking for something else to do, or both, let me know if I can help with any questions or details.

www.scentsy.com/my2scents
    NicoR

Answer by NicoR at 3:03 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I am a Mary Kay consultant. Do NOT let anyone pressure you. My good friend who is my recruter, has done great at it. She is pushing me to by the products. I have to keep telling her I do not have the money to do that. I told her I would do it at my own pace and order as needed without out pressure. I am slowly getting back into it. I have been a consulant on and off for 10 years. I signed back on a few years ago. Just so I can get the makeup half off. My 1st time around was hell I had this crazy woman insist I needed 3,000 in products. Then call me monthly to tell me to buy or I wouldn't be active anymore. SHe lied. Just go at your own pace. Best of luck.
    Anonymous

• I tried, but the problem is that EVERYONE sells Mary Kay and Avon. So finding clients almost impossible. I didn't like the company, they are too overpriced. It wasn't for me, but you asked for good bad and ugly, and all I've seen was good.
    Just the entrance fee is enough to make you say WHAT!
    Anonymous

• OOPS I mean't all of the responses I've seen were good, I DESPISE the company now!
    Anonymous

• I too agree that everyone sells mary kay. So finding new customers is a bit of a challenge. But nothing happens over night w/ anything. Take your time in your decision, you make as little or as much money as you want to. Just depends on how much you really work at. Good luck to you!
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 6:40 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Before buying or selling any body care products, it is important to check the safety of the ingredients. I like the Skin Deep database maintained by the Environmental Working Group (the folks who publish the guide to pesticides in produce). www.ewg.org

Avon and Mary Kay, among others, make a big public show of their support of breast cancer research and victims, yet refuse to stop using cancer causing ingredients in their products.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:01 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• As stated before, Avon and Mary Kay are such saturated markets already that it's nearly impossible to find a necent customer base without searching high and low and advertising like CRAZY. I tried Avon twice, did make money off of it but there were so many reps in my area alone and there were other factors that played a role in my choosing to discontinue selling it. Besides, I'd rather sell something people actually NEED and have a good use for, than try to push makeup and other things on people. Plus what I do makes me residual income (which means I get paid over and over again on the same business as long as it stays on the books.)

Best of luck.
    atowers

Answer by atowers at 1:36 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• You don't have to keep inventory. I choose to because my customers usually don't want to wait for it to be shipped (ex- last weekend a co-worker was going to Hawaii and asked " I leave tomorrow. Do you have sunscreen at home?") At first I started to just carry a bit to remain "active" but as I've upped my inventory level I feel more comfortable selling because I don't have to be like... "uh... I don't have that sorry now you gotta wait 2 weeks." If you choose to do it... do it however you want- for personal use or to make money to not have to work a regular job.... it's all up to you. GOOD LUCK!!!
    cb8444

Answer by cb8444 at 3:34 AM on Jul. 9, 2010