Big Brother, anyone?!

Do you like the idea of the government being able to track where you are or where you go at all times?

Many of you freaked out when the Bush Administration listened to phone calls when trying to catch terrorists. So now, is there going to be an uproar when the Obama Administration is fighting for the right to be able to track Americans via their cell phones without a warrant?

***
"...the Obama administration has argued that warrantless tracking is permitted because Americans enjoy no "reasonable expectation of privacy" in their--or at least their cell phones'--whereabouts. U.S. Department of Justice lawyers say that "a customer's Fourth Amendment rights are not violated when the phone company reveals to the government its own records" that show where a mobile device placed and received calls."

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10451518-38.html

LoriKeet

Asked by LoriKeet at 2:40 PM on Feb. 11, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Oh yeah, didn't you hear? We have no expectation of privacy when it comes to our cell phones so it's ok for these companies to give the government anything they want.
    For Petes sake, something new every day. No wonder most of American is MAD at government.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 5:24 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• LOL, I was wondering the same thing Lori. I wonder if it sounds sweeter coming from Obama's mouth rather than anyone on the right of the aisle. I suppose we are about to find out.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:44 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• This has been happening for YEARS..EZ pass transponders? RFID chips? All phones can be traced with either GPS or through the cell phone towers. I guess it's another thing to pin on Obama, when you know this has been going on for years. You are not that ignorant.
    Anonymous

• There already is an uproar. You did notice who filed the suit? The ACLU. Interesting dilemma, isn't it?

Thing is, the case in question is over the arrest of a pair of bank robbers. Tracking them = good thing. Tracking lost people = good thing. Tracking someone who badmouths the government = bad thing.

I personally had no problem with the wiretaps of terrorists. But I *would* have a problem with someone tapping you because of your conservative views. I should hope that you would conversely have a problem with someone wiretapping me because of my liberal views.

I think MOTIVE means everything here.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:48 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

***
    You're right, I'm not that ignorant! But unlike you, I am capable of comprehending the need to track criminals posing a threat to public safety versus the uneccessary need to track the whereabouts of outspoken anti-Obama soccer moms! What are the determining factors over who gets tracked and who doesn't...and WITHOUT a warrant?!

Even the ACLU has an issue with this, why don't you?!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:03 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Be ready to hear crickets! Oh, Obama can do no wrong. That man can call for mandatory bugs up their butts and they would gracefully bend over.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 3:22 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I hate to say it, but they are right.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 3:31 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• When Bush does it, EVIL.

When Obama does it, ACCEPTABLE.

So much for change.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 3:48 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Mancos, I don't think it was evil when Bush did it. I may not have liked him as a President ( I STILL think Barbara was the Bush who should have been elected, not EITHER of the Georges)....but I don't think he was evil.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:57 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• So why do you care now? You didnt then
    Anonymous