What with the 4 yr olds with a pacifiers?

I was in Wal-Mart yesterday and saw a kid sitting in a cart with a pacifier in his mouth. If he wasnt 4 he was 5. Do you really want to shut your kid up that much that you just shove a pacifier in their mouth? How old do you think is too old for a pacifier? I think 1 year is old enough.

Christina2135

Asked by Christina2135 at 3:11 PM on Feb. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• My DD had one in bed until just before she turned 4. Yes, I do think it was too long. It was a hard habit to break, but I kind of got her to ditch it on her own which was better then just taking it away. By the time she was I guess, 3, she was ONLY allowed to have it in HER bed. If she came into our bed in the mornings, it had to stay in her bed. When she was 18 mos I began limiting it to rest times, on the couch or in bed. Then 2ish was just for bed. 3ish just her bed, and about 2 mos before she turned 4, she put it under her pillow for the binky fairy.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:14 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• we took our son's away before he was even 3 months.We were using it for calming him at shots times only.Its a case of letting a child run the show.He/she wants it,so they get to keep it. All the dentists out there must be jumping for joy!
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 3:14 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• There is no good reason a child past 1 year of age should have a pacifier. Parent's are just trying to "pacify" their child instead of comforting them and teaching them other coping skills to deal with their anxiety.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 3:19 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I think 3, at the ABSOLUTE latest! Not only is it bad for their teeth, but it's bad for their communication skills as well. We got lucky, our son gave his up on his own around 8 months, but I know some kids are really attached to their binkies. For the parents of those kids, I'm sure they're doing all they can short of throwing every pacifier in the house away with no warning!
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 3:21 PM on Feb. 11, 2010