Why are so many people so concerned about haiti???

I just dont get it! So many problems going on here in America-our own backyard but yet there were over 14 different telethons for the earthquake in Haiti. Now dont get me wrong, I am not a coldhearted person in the least, but there wasn't this much attention paid for the devastation that Hurricane Katrina did...It just gets me upset, but God Bless America!!! Tell me what you think....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:15 PM on Feb. 11, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Because so many people died and so much was lost and destroyed.
    Anonymous

• Ummm, because it was a catastrophical disaster and some people have a heart?
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 3:19 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I couldn't agree more. I think its because we look down on people from disadvantaged countries.We feel the folks here should be able to care for themselves,or that the government should be helping. That they don't know any better from countries like Haiti,and the good ol USA needs to step in once again.
    Anonymous

• but there wasn't this much attention paid for the devastation that Hurricane Katrina did

You and I must have been watching different channels.

Katrina didn't cause nearly the devastation that this earthquake has. The death toll was not even close, and there were places for the victims to go (not so in Haiti!). There weren't thousands of bodies littering the streets, people kidnapping children, etc.

I just don't get how people can compare the two.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 3:20 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• OK so we have had Haiti happen and people oh its a catastrophy. but we have that EVERY day in america on our streets. every single day
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 3:24 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Do you honestly feel nothing for these people, have you not seen the news, the condition over in Haiti is disgusting and people are actually dying as you and I are writing this.
    LivvyMay

Answer by LivvyMay at 3:26 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I don't think people (men women AND children) are getting amputations with saws with only vodka as a painkiller here in america. I don't think young girls are forced to accept that they will be raped on the way to get food and water for their family here in america (although young girls do face rape).
    Anonymous

• her point is that we pay more attention to other countries,and not enough to our own plight.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 3:27 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I totally feel for them. I also feel for the children going hungry tonight in america, the one who will freeze to death tonight on the streets., the mentaly ill homeless who will likley lose fingers and toes tongiht. sorry if i feel we need to fix our invisible catastrophy before we go fixing other countries
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 3:28 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• this is the america tends to be, pay attention to the higher drama , the thing that is on the televison more. sorry if i never forget one night while I am warm that children in america are NOT
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 3:30 PM on Feb. 11, 2010