I feel like a bum. Please read!

Parents of more than one: around week 36/37 of preg number 2 (or more) did you lose all energy and start feeling like you were "neglecting" your other children? I have a 2 year old and am due on March 9- we go out of the house and do fun children oriented activities 3-4 times a week.... other than that, I let him watch cartoons (up to 4 hours aday) and play with him.
His diet has begun to consist mostly of mac and cheese, canned veggies, french toast and pb and jelly sandwiches. I am feeling like a terrible mother and am overwhelmed at what time I will be able to give him once his little sister comes. Any advice on how to juggle everything/not be such a bum. Thank you!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:44 PM on Feb. 11, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It sounds to me that your iron is low and you should get it checked out. I do understand how your feeling, I would let your doctor know what is going on. That what it was with me I had to take extra iron pills from 33 wks to I had my 2nd LO.

Congrats on the new LO on the way. Your a full time momma and pregnant you can be lazy at times :~)  Your NOT a bad MOMMA.......

Anonymous

• OMG, it's fine! You're pregnant. PB&J and TV is not going to kill him, he's probably loving it. Kids are pretty easy to please most of the time. I don't have any advice since I only have 1, but this stuff is fun for kids. They like that stuff.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 3:57 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• You are more active than I am. I'm also pregnant and due in March. Don't push yourself and getting your iron checked is a good idea. Mine is terribly low and I take an extra supplement. Best wishes!
    Anonymous

• I am with danielp on this one. Your son is loving it. His favorite foods and tv?!? He feels like a king right now. Nowhere in his mind is he thinking 'mommy is letting me do the things i want, she must hate me cause of that baby' LOL. You are doing okay. You are doing what needs to be done. If anything, ragging on yourself about this is the negative he doesn't need to see. I am 19 wks pregnant with my 3rd and I have no energy. I don't fix elaborate meals anymore, but the kids are fed and there is no harm in that.
    VintageWife

Answer by VintageWife at 4:03 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I have to make special foods for my DD due to a ton of food allergies. To make things easier on me I try to make extra to freeze- like I make 30 meatballs at a time and pop them in the freezer so when I am pressed for time or making something she can't eat for myself, I can just grab a few meatballs out of the freezer and throw them in the microwave for her. Also we do a lot of canned or frozen fruits and veggies, and fully cooked rotisserie chickens that I can just peel apart and give her. Trying some things like that might make meals easier for you now and after the new baby comes. That is just a thought for you but it doesn't sound like you are a bum. I might try to cut back the tv time a little bit but you are doing the best you can right now and the fact that you take him out several times a week for activities is great and helps ensure he is getting stimulated. Hang in there Mama. And if you can get any help, ask for it!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:07 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• mac & cheese, pb &j sands and 4 hours of Cartoons wont kill him. it really sounds like everyother family in america lol. i would say the 3-4 times a week activies is just fine and dandy! lol congrats by the way
    bmdred

Answer by bmdred at 4:22 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• If you get a second wind, it is a great idea to prepare some casseroles and stick them in the freezer. This way, after the baby gets here, you will only have to pop the casserole in the oven.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 4:36 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• i was like that in the first trimester. my son is 2. i was really drained, and started letting him watch TV more than i'd like. was having bad nausea/vomiting, so i couldn't prepare as healthy of foods as i'd like. just do your best! i'll probably get like that again at the end. i'm only 21 weeks now.
    Anonymous

• your doing more than me!!! I'm also due in March, and my DD's diet has consisted of peanut butter sandwiches, fruit snacks (at least we get the 100% fruit ones), and chicken nuggets for a while now. I let her play by herself in her room for probably 3-4 hours at a time because she is more content and less all over me that way. My laundry hasn't been done in over a week cuz I have a hard time with the stairs (also a reason she plays in her room by herself, its upstairs).. and I dont think I've cooked dinner yet this month. Unlike you though, we don't get out of the house except MAYBE once a week.. and that's to go to the doctors or my sister's house.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 5:08 PM on Feb. 11, 2010