MY 18month OLD SCREAMS WHEN SHE HAS TO TAKE A BATH.

I HAVE TRIED TAKING A BATH WITH HER, PUTTING HER IN THE SHOWER WITH ME, AND GIVING HER A BATH WITH MY OTHER 2 DAUGHTERS BUT NOTHING SEEMS TO HELP. SHE SCREAMS SO MUCH AT TIMES SHE LITERALLY GETS PHYSICALLY SICK. I DON'T KNOW WHAT ELSE TO DO PLEASE HELP!!!

TUSHERS

Asked by TUSHERS at 3:49 PM on Feb. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have seen it suggested to start over with water and reintroducing bath time. For instance, start sponge bathing, and then start sponge bathing in the tub with no water. Or bathe in a baby tub, then put the baby tub in the bathtub with no water. Then in the tub with just an inch of water, and so on and so forth until she is comfortable again. I know a lot of kids get afraid of the faucet or the sprayer so try to fill the tub completely before you even take her into the bathroom. Or maybe some new and special bath toys, that are only for in the tub, to try and get her excited about bath time again. Maybe have her help you give her doll a bath in the tub so she finds it less scary.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:57 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• is it just the tub that is the issue, will she let you put her in the kitchen sink? If so bathe her there. If not I would say it is a phase and to keep trying. SOme kids are just scared of water so you have to keep on trying it.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 3:52 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• The shower is DEFINATLY not a good idea...water hitting her in the face and all.
    A sponge bath in sink is a great idea! Have lots of toys and such for her..cups...boats...water books and BUBBLES of course :)
    lesliegail22

Answer by lesliegail22 at 4:44 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Did this come on fairly suddenly? If so it sounds like what happened with my little one around 15 months. She loved it then all the sudden hated it... Soon enough, she loved it again. We just had to hold her in there and wash her standing up as she screamed for about a month... Not sure why it happened or why she became okay with it again. I'd just try to keep things as calm as possible and keep trying, but no need to push for a bath every day until she's enjoying it again.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 7:46 PM on Feb. 11, 2010