Advice on raising a boy (when the father is not around?)

My son is 5 months. His Dad has been in and out of our lives for the past 2 months. The last time he was around 3 weeks and he and I talked about a future with "our family" well..2 weeks ago - he left and I heard from him once! Since December it has been like that, here a week, gone a week. But I really thought it was different this time. This is not his only child, but he was acting like he was partial to him and that he was special. Well, he has 2 other sons 7&9 they know about their little brother but have seen him less than 10 times. It's like he can make this one disappear when it's not convienient for him. What bothers me is that he fought for custody of his other 2. He gets them when he's suppose to. Does EVERYTHING for them. (he has only gave me $40 and bought ONE can of formula his whole life) the same week he spent $300+ for his oldest son skates! He coaches baseball and has really been a great dad for them.

Maya09

Asked by Maya09 at 3:59 PM on Feb. 11, 2010 in Relationships

• He doesnt deseve to be loved any less or treated different. I feel as his mother it is my responsibility to protect him. Would he be better of with him not around at all - then to go thru his life with a part time father, and broken promises..and have to see his brothers be treated like they are better than him? What am I going to do when he is old enough to understand this and ask about his Dad. I don't know what the future holds with their relationship - all I know is what path it's going right now. Should I not give him the option? I think it would hurt even worse it he continues coming in and out of his life. He means the world to me and I don't know what I would do if his dad ever hurt or let him down. I don't want him to wonder why his dad is not around, blame himself, or feel in any way unsure of himself or the situation. I think I need to do something before he is old enough to understand. What can I do?
    Maya09

Answer by Maya09 at 4:14 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• be better of with him not around at all
    Anonymous

• DUMP HIM....
    FILE FOR CHILD SUPORT, and he can always see his son....
    SissyAnn141

Answer by SissyAnn141 at 10:39 PM on Feb. 11, 2010