How did you get your son/ daughter off , Binky/Pacifier?

I'm interrested in ways people have taken away their baby's/toddlers binky/pacifier, & @ what age, & did it take a long time? Did it take you more than 1 try? Or did you just take it & never look back..lol..?

Stefono

Asked by Stefono at 4:07 PM on Feb. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My DD didn't GET one until she was 12 months old. I let her have it in place of her bottle (BIG mistake on my part), now at 18 months we're getting ready to take hers. I read that if you poke a hole in it the child will not like the feel of it as it makes it more difficult to hold in their mouth and acutally makes their mouth tired. I'm going to try it.
    Anonymous

• I did it about 2 weeks before he turned two. I wish I hadn't..:( I just took it away and he cried and we just dealt with it for a night or two.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:09 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• If I could go back in time I would have ganked it around age one. My son is going on 2 1/2 and is ADDICTED! He only gets it at nap and bed times, but it is still annoying. I would take it away now, but he has a lil sis on the way in a few weeks and I am nervous about him adjusting. DD will only have one until she is 364 days old- period!
    Anonymous

• I have experience with my DD and her bottle. She was almost 4 and still drinking from a bottle at night to fall asleep (water). Her baby brother came along when she was 2 and I felt bad trying to take it away from her when brother had a bottle. So one day DH was loading the dishwasher and said "NO MORE" LOL he grabbed every bottle and nipple and cver and put it in a trash bag and told the kids no more bottles...they are going bye bye. Thru it in the trash...I was SHOCKED! But I palyed along and the kids just looked at him as if he was nuts. That night we said sorry, no bottles all gone and they were OK with it. The best advise is say good bye and never break down..when it's gone you cannot bring it back. good luck
    Anonymous

• We just took my 2 1/2 year old son's away about a month ago. I slowly started taking it away when he was about a year and a half. I would only let him have it for naps and bedtime. I finally decided to take it away last month. It was a bit rough sometimes, but I think he handled it well considering my 11 month old daughter still has one. We went to Build-A-Bear the next day and he built his own bear that he sleeps with now. He loves it, and it did the trick to take his mind of the pacifier.

Hope this helps a bit.

Erika
    www.4MyFamilyandMe.com
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 4:17 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I took dds when she was 18 mos. I hid them all and said she was too big! The next day she found them and I told her to put them away... She did and I only dealt with 2 nights of crying. I WISH I would have taken it at a year like I had originally planned but dd has big blue eyes that make you melt everytime! To replace her binky I let her pick out a new stuffed animal and it's been her attachment besides her blanky ever since! Her teeth are fine as well so there wasn't any damage... I just feel a year is a better age to take it away!!!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 4:42 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• never offered it to them in the first place. imo they're overrated, both my boys were just fine without it.
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 5:17 PM on Feb. 11, 2010