Are there different 'levels' of Asperger's?

Could one child function differently or with more deficiencies than the other yet be the same diagnosis. They call my son Asperger's but he seems to be less deficient than another child I know with is same diagnosis. It's making me question it. An you be high functioning Autism and Not Asperger's? Is PDD more or less functioning than Asperger's?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:16 PM on Feb. 11, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Don't compare your child to another, it will drive you crazy. My son is ADHD and PPD. He is alot different than alot of kids his age and with others with same DX. He has issues others don't have and at the same time others have issues he doesn't have. Get a second opinion, there is nothing wrong with that. My child was first DX by his ped, then I went to a developmental ped and to a neurologist to rule out other things.

midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 4:46 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• PPD, aspergers and autism are all in the same category for lack of a better term. Yes they are all in the same "family" and on the spectrum but each child is unique so their signs and severity will also be different. Some people with aspergers functions very well and has some eye contact with some people and more eye contact with others, while some have no eye contact and can not handle a crowd of more than 4 people. Yes, there are different levels but it really means just different severity levels ranging from very mild to very sever.. If you question the DX do as much research as you can on each, Autism, PPD pervasive developmental disorder and aspergers. If you still question it, just talk to your Dr. If this is coming from a pediatrician have them refer you to a specialist with more experience..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 4:35 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• He saw a psychologist and I really felt his diagnosis was right on. Now I'm just not sure. I think there is something not right but after meeting this other child Asperger's no longer seemed right... Maybe I need a second opinion. My friend tells me that she can tell something with him is not 'normal' but it's more of a 'hmmm, something is off in that kid but I just can't put my finger on what...'
    Anonymous

• I have never had my son tested but I believe whole-heartedly that my son as a mild form of aspergers. I say mild because my son it not obsessive about certain things or topics. He is not obsessive about the way things feel to his skin or taste in his mouth. He is not wobbly or have a hard time doing physical activities. My son does show some characteristics of aspergers like being geared towards anything electrical. He has an above average IQ but a below average social IQ. He doesn't understand social cues and has a hard time understanding bad intent. Before he was put on a special diet, he had a hard time concentrating and sitting still.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 5:10 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Every child is different. I taught at a school for children with ASD's, and within any one diagnosis you can find the full spectrum of abilities. The one overwhelming thing I saw that made a difference for these kids however, was their diet. My son was almost diagnosed with an ASD at 15 months. He had a very severe regression where he went from developing normally to almost completely nonverbal with stimming and severe behaivors in a matter of weeks. When we started to look at his diet, we found that he was allergic to dairy and wheat. After these were taken out of his diet, he was back to normal. Within two weeks, the behaviors stopped and his vocabulary doubled from what it had been before the regression. We have found some other allergies since then, but his behaviors have not returned and he has a very advanced vocabulary and good social skills. I have seen it time and again with these children.
    asesnick1

Answer by asesnick1 at 9:59 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Cont.

I woud say to do an elimination diet, reguardless of what you think of his diagnosis. The most common dietary issues with these kids are the wheat and dairy, but others can have issues as well. The wheat and dairy especially, have an almost psychotrophic effect of many of these kids because of the way their bodies process the proteins in them. At the very least, trying the diet will not hurt your son, and you never know how much it could help. I would also suggest getting a second opinion if you are not happy with the diagnosis and making sure that you have a doctor you are comfortable with. It really makes all the difference. And research, research, research! Become your libraries most loyal consumer and googles heaviest user. Knowledge can only make you stronger. I know it gave me a huge sense of empowerment.
    asesnick1

Answer by asesnick1 at 10:04 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• There are so many variables that you cant make one mold and say THIS is Asperger's and leave it in concrete. They give a basic, outline with some characteristics & either you meet enough to fall into that category or you fall into one of the other categories like Autism or PDD-NOS. Just a lot of grey areas.
    Probably a good reason the proposed DSM-V is out for recommendations & comments until April. If you saw, Asperger's, PDD & Autism is now proposed to be grouped as Autistic Disorder rather than having individual dx's.
    My ds is dx'd as Low Functioning Asperger's. He also has some cognitive delays and LD's and he had a slight speech issue. He, IMO, falls into one of those grey areas. Aspie and HFA. But then again, Low Functioning Asperger's and HFA is essentially one and the same.
    I, on the other hand, am dx'd with high functioning Asperger's. So ds and I are a good example of how Aspie's can be very different.
    Melindakc

Answer by Melindakc at 6:32 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• I like to say that Aspergers/Autism is not a 'cookie cutter disorder' where everyone is the same, it is big, broad and individualized--- meaning what my son does yours may/may not do. My son is an Aspie, and his best friend is an Aspie. I see some similar traits, but they also have different things they do that are unique to themself. Their teacher (an Autism specialist) says "If you have met one person with Autism, you have met ONE person".
    If you question your child's diagnosis then you may want to get a 2nd opinion.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:08 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• yes there is a huge spectrum within aspies... the label isnt an end it is the begining of understanding where they are coming from and how their brain works. it is just the begining of the understanding. some people who are adults with aspies cannot live on their own, keep jobs, etc.... others have pretty normal lives (like me) married, own 2 houses, finished college in 5 yrs, teach reading, etc... i know nothing about PPD other then it is a senory issue related disorder. if you are questioning the diagnosis you should know that ADD and aspies are often misdiagnosed with each other. look up ADD and evaluate him on that spectrum. lots of people have more than one disorder.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 10:03 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• It is considered on the autism spectrum but it is different in the presentation of what you would think of as a autistic. Thus the reason it has its own name. It is also hard to diagnose early and many children have had several different diagnosis before they reach the correct diagnosis of aspergers disorder. What makes it different is children living with Aspergers typically are highly intelligent and well in most areas but there is something "different" about them. The different things are: they typically lack reciprocity and guienely do not understand the feelings of others. They have a high degree of social interaction issues, higher than average intelligence, hyper focused on one or two subjects and find ways to inappropriately focus on those subjects, obvious to social cues and rules, amoung other criteria.  I diagnosed disorders for a living and it is a tricky one for most to pick up on.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:33 PM on Feb. 12, 2010