How do I get an 8 year old boy to listen to me

Words and reasoning are not working. I threat to be punished in his room and I never follow through and he knows it. Now he's starting to act like he's running the show.

I put him in his room, he's crying like crazy. I feel bad even though I shouldn't. How long do I keep him in there, I need him to realize I mean business and he needs to listen to him.

I just need some advice how to proceed... how long do I keep him there, what do I say afterwards? Does he stay in the rest of the day? Tv, video games, I'm just not sure what's too strict but obviously my words have no effect on me and he doesn't take me seriously.

This is not crazy behavior. It's the fact of talking back fresh (especially in front of his friends) and then simply ignorning me when I ask him questions, giving me hard time with homework. JUST NOT LISTENING and then having a 2 year old temper tantrum. Um, he's 8 years old.

Suggestions?

tracey505

Asked by tracey505 at 4:17 PM on Feb. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• send him to his room, no video and TV. when he stops crying and all is quiet go to him and explain the reason he is in there.
    It works for awhile. I finally had to take everything away until he improved his behavior.
    FuTureMrsPaRRy

Answer by FuTureMrsPaRRy at 4:20 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• to introduce my self i am shaina: you little boy is gettin out of control wat should do is put him in his room take every thing out that he loves and play wit let him sit in there if he startt to whine act like you can't hear him after so long wen he really get on your nurves and he is still cring just spank him wit a belt after that hell be scared then he will do better than wat he is doing
    Anonymous

• Children do not just stop wanting to have their own way when they pass the age of two. When he gets his way at two, he then expects to have his way at three, and at four, and for every year after that. The older he gets, the higher the stakes become for him and the more determined he is to show you who is boss. That is why it is so very important to teach a toddler that he must respect the authority of his parents and that he must instantly obey them. He has to be taught that he does not control his own universe, but that it is controlled by Mom and Dad. For generations, my family has successfully accomplished this task by the now-considered-to-be horrible discipline known as spanking. While it may seem outmoded to some, it is highly effective and most successful when it is started at a very young age. Children catch on very quickly to the fact that unacceptable behavior is met with some parentally inflicted pain.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:41 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Simple you are just making idol threats and never following through. Follow though and don't back down that how you'll gain respect from him.
    Anonymous

• He can stay in there until he decides to behave. Make it clear to him that his actions have consequences, and that it is up to him what they will be. He has the power. When he chooses to misbehave, he is choosing the consequence. When he chooses to behave, he chooses the praise. 8 years old is more than old enough to understand this. However, you, mama, have to follow through with consequences. This can be done without yelling because yelling just means the kids stop listening anyway.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:58 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Help - About Supernanny
    A modern day Mary Poppins, Supernanny has developed unique techniques for ... The second SUPERNANNY book was released in July 2006. ...
    www.supernanny.com/Help/About-Us.aspx - Cached - More from this site

This may help....
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 11:45 PM on Feb. 11, 2010