Why is there no....

Why is there no spell check in the 'Ask a Question' area? I am tired of being yelled at about spelling and how you should use spell check when there isn't one! there should be!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:18 PM on Feb. 11, 2010 in About CafeMom

• There are more important things to worry about in life than the opinion of a bunch of cranky jerks on a website.  Imagine how sad their lives are because of intolerance for something that minor.group hug  Now everyone....

Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 11:38 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• There IS a spell check if you use the full editor. There's a link to click it. I don't know why the full editor isn't the default.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:20 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• There IS NO full editor on the ask a question.
    Anonymous

• Call me rude, but it does not take but a short remedial course to regain (or to gain) the basics of phonics. Spell check wouldn't be necessary if you put forth the effort to learn hoe to spell.

As far as spell check goes, I finally downloaded Firefox for my sister because she's had so many concussions (basically punch drunk) that she has trouble retaining knowledge. She went back to school... none of it stuck- Firefox will spell check as you go. It's free... Download it.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:22 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Yet you still managed to misspell How....hmmm....

Basic phonics is a load of crap any way. There are all these stupid rules in the English language that are only rules sometimes. Like silent E's, PH vs. F, I before E. Many many people can spell well enough to get by anyway. No one is perfect and spelling is not everyone's concern or forte.

OP I wouldn't sweat misspellings. EVERYONE has misspelled something. Plus it won't catch misspellings that are another real word anyway.
    Anonymous

• No, not a hypocrite... just very bad at typing, and have horrible "lysdexia". Proofreading does not always catch it. thank you for pointing it out to me, its something that I have been working on.

My typing skills have nothing to do with spelling though, so I'm in the clear on that one. Spelling is such an important skill that has unfortunately been lost. Not sure why people do not put forth the effort to learn the basics, or do not feel it is important.
    Perhaps I should take my own advice and use Firefox to catch minor typos.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:28 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I can't spell worth a crap! Yet I still manage to be a happy and functioning adult. Most days spelling is the least of my problems. wait make that EVERY day!! lol.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:29 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I have seen a TON of basic typing or spelling mistakes that are treated as though the person is some sort of an idiot. Proof positive? See above. People need to just answer the damn question. Unless you just can't read it at all then there is no need to point out if someone left an F out of Different or typed hoe in stead of How. Even if you can't understand it there is no need to make someone feel inferior! Get a life people!
    Anonymous

• Anon~ there is not a reason to feel inferior, nor was that my point. I would be heartbroken if one of my children were to graduate HS, without even a simple understanding of the most basic necessities. If someone is offended by the suggestion that they take a remedial course, then perhaps it rang too true.
    I do have to apologize for my typing skills, that is something I lost a few years back after a brain trauma, and have regained slowly.

I simply can not apologize for something that was not intended to offend. If you are offended by me, that is a personal problem.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:37 PM on Feb. 11, 2010