How to keep my 16 month old asleep

My 16 month old is on a firm nap/sleep schedule and we have a bedtime routine. My problem is that he does not, and never has, slept through the night. He typically wakes up 4 or more times in one night. He sleeps in his own crib and usually will go back to sleep when you put his binky back in his mouth. Still, the constant waking is wreaking havoc on me and is not ideal for him either. I have let him cry, since his cry is more a whine than a scream, but he just does not go back to sleep! I have tried letting him sleep with me. He still wakes up just as frequently. I have tried to really fill his little belly up in case he is waking due to hunger, same results. Seriously, is there a solution? Or is this just one of those things that will just take time for him to grow out of?

GabrielsMom24-7

Asked by GabrielsMom24-7 at 4:26 PM on Feb. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I go thru the same thing with my 16 month old DD. She will wake and fuss and then as soon as I got put the paci in her mouth she usually goes right back to sleep. If she can find the paci herself she is ok, but sometimes it falls out of the crib and then all I can do is get it for her. I mean, I could let her cry but that isn't really my style. I'm curious if anyone else has tips because I have just kind of been dealing with it. She sleeps better and longer as time goes on so I kind of just figured this was something I have to deal with it until she outgrows it. Or I could take away the paci and then mabye she would sleep better? But since that could also be a disaster I just deal with it for now. Good luck! I know it's hard when you are awakened four times a night. I just don't know what would work.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:34 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I had this same problem with my DD when she was 5 mos. So we took the paci away. It was a rough week and she has slept through the night since. I would reccomend to both of you to possibly take the paci's away, go through a rough week and then they should sleep on their own just fine. My Pedi told me that they will on average cry for about 3-4 hours the first night, 2-3 the second and third nights, 1-2 nights 3-6 and night 7 was about 4 again. You have to hold to it if you take it away. You can't give it back. You have to stay strong. This will be rough if this is the route you choose. BTW my LO has slept 12 plus hours since we took the paci away and she is 19 mos old.
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:06 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• If you choose not to take the binky away you can also put a couple extra binky's in bed just incase one falls out. I have done this with my son when he was 11 months old. He is now 13 months old and if he loses it now he is okay with it but I only give it to him when its time for nap or bed though.
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 6:26 PM on Feb. 11, 2010