My baby will not sleep unless I'm holding him.

He is 4 months old and recently had pneumonia that affected his breathing, so for a few days I held him while he slept to watch his breathing.
NOW, I will get him to sleep and as soon as I lay him down - he wakes up.
He was sleeping good, through the night - most of the time I could lay him down with a blanket and he would put his self to sleep.
How can I get him back to this again?

Maya09

Asked by Maya09 at 4:38 PM on Feb. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It takes work, and it is hard. He may not be feeling 100% yet, and still relies on you to make him feel better. Try waiting until he is in a deeper sleep, and when you lay him down pat his back and try to calm him. It will get better. Babies will go back and forth like this even if they haven''t been sick, and if they have been it can be that much worse.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 4:41 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Lying flat sometimes builds pressure up in the lungs again and it hurts. When you hold him he's tilted so he probably breaths better. Have you elevated the top of his crib so that he's not lying flat? We had to put the top of the crib on bricks to angle the bed. You can also raise the mattress at one end instead of the bed. He will be ok soon. He just feels safe and secure with you, too. I held my son during those times when he was that young. I know it gets hard on you but he'll adjust back soon.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:57 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• okay all babies r like this sometimes well any ways your baby is spoiled i noe he got a breathin problen but still lay him down if he wakes up then just let him stay right there he will doze back of see cuz wat the baby is trying to do he wants to knoe if you is still right there thats all hell go to sleep
    Shaina11

Answer by Shaina11 at 5:04 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Because he is sick he wants you there for the comfort. And you should be there for him. What I did with my son when he gets into these stages,
    I put him in his own bed, stand over him and pat his back or butt. I read to him until he startes falling asleep.
    He wants to make sure you are close. That he can see you. Because at this age babies dont know that when you leave, your coming back.
    After he gets better with falling asleep in his crib with you there, back up a little so he cant see you. But continue to talk to him. Read, sing, ect.
    Soon enough, you'll be able to put him to bed like a pro!
    Good luck Mommi!!!
    krisew90

Answer by krisew90 at 8:49 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• my daughters 5mths n like that when i put her down i will stand there n pat her bak until shes asleep then i roll a blanket n put it up against her so shes feels comfort my daughter hates sleepen on her bak shes perfers her side if hes still sick him laying totally flat down may make it hard on him esp if he has a runny nose let him be comfy just watch him
    kristy_shawn03

Answer by kristy_shawn03 at 12:56 PM on Feb. 14, 2010