boo hoo i can't help it i'm so skinny, give me a break! If skinny people can't help being skinny then can fat people help being fat?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:54 PM on Feb. 11, 2010 in Health

• yes they can very few people are predetermined to be overweight by genetics, most of the time if someone is over weight its from a lack of exercise and poor nutrition.  Everyone in a family is more likely to be overweight because they all have the same habits.

Anonymous

• lol :) some cant its like a tyroid disorder but most can its self inflected im fat i know it i know why i am i LOVE to eat but i can change it to i have a cousin that is so tiny she wants to gain weight but cant no matter what if i even look at a ding dong i gain a pound lol
    Anonymous

• I'm by no means "skinny", but still catch hell from the other women in my family for being too thin. They have self image issues- not my problem.

I used to be fat (actually, truly obese)- yes, fat people can help it, but they would rather be lazy. I can say that without malice, because I used to be fat, and I beat it. It takes a lot of hard work!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:01 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• actually people are predetermined to being overweight by their biology...granted genetics does play a role but its a person's individual biology. Yes there is a crisis on overweight individuals and the consequences for obese individuals is very poor health, but so is being underweight. Both are no good. Bulemia and anorexia are both illnesses that result in very poor health and can kill the individual. Some people are biologically and genetically predispositioned to be underweight and have higher metabolisms much like those who are overweight. Then there are those who's actions make them underweight or over...either way each one of us, with healthcare assistance can make healthier lifestyle changes.
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 5:03 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• It goes both ways. My 27 year old daughter is about 5' 3" and weighs 114 lbs if she is lucky. She hates being so skinny and eats all the time, she upped the calories she takes in each day, she eats everything in sight, and she still cannot gain weight. She has a very high metabolism as did I when I was in my 20's. There was nothing I could do about it then, and there is nothing my daughter can do about it now. My metabolism slowed down when I got closer to 40 and now I am pretty healthy and only about 10 lbs over weight, but I have to watch what I eat now. Fat people, well there are some that have a thyroid condition so they can't help it, but most of the time being fat is because they have bad eating habits and are inactive. Americans have the worst eating habits in the world.
    TarLion

Answer by TarLion at 5:05 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• The only people who have an excuse for being overweight are people with Thyroid problems, otherwise you're overweight because you're not exercising, you eat the wrong things or you over eat.
    Anonymous

• "I used to be fat (actually, truly obese)- yes, fat people can help it, but they would rather be lazy. I can say that without malice, because I used to be fat, and I beat it. It takes a lot of hard work! "

Sorry Obbie... this post reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where the dentist becomes jewish so he can tell jokes about jewish people.
    Just because you beat it, doesn't mean you need to be so hostile to fat people. You could have stated that in a nicer manner. Previously fat or not, doesn't mean you need to be so harsh.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 5:08 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I completely agree that the reason I am fat is because I like food and dislike exercises. I don't think it is cool to be fat and I am working on my issues and with hard work and perseverance I am sure I can beat it too. But I can assure you I will not bash others who haven't beat it yet.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 5:12 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• well then skinny people have no excuse for being too skinny. Do they have problems? thyroid? perging? anarexia? Why would a skinny person be unhappy being too skinny and whine about it? Fat people are pushed so hard to have this image.
    Anonymous

• I think everyone should be happy with who they are, and be more respectful towards others. I used to be really skinny and I couldn't help that. I hated it because everyone made fun of me. After I had my son I gained a lot of weight and got made fun of too. I'm not obese, I just have a belly, and people asked me how many months pregnant I am, 3 years after giving birth! Point is, it hurts to make fun of someone whether they are fat or skinny.

svalle

Answer by svalle at 5:19 PM on Feb. 11, 2010