Meeting my future step daughter for the first time. (8yr.)

She will be arriving by plane tomorrow to spend a long weekend with us. This will be the first time I will meet her! She only visits once a year (due to money) and last year I was out of town on business I couldn't get out of. I am so excited but a little scared! lol. I 'm scared of an eight year old girl! Anyway any advice on what i should say, do, offer or avoid?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:01 PM on Feb. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• My 8yo is very shy, but not all of them are. It takes her a good 30 mins to warm up to someone new, so dont push her.
    Dont try to be "mom", just be a friend.
    Leave all discipline up to dad for now!
    Study up on the Disney Channel shows (LOL)
    Let her have her weekend with her dad, and just "be there" with them.
    Anonymous

• BTW once we are married and have more income together we plan on having her come a little more often hopefully for the whole summer next year. She is in the wedding in July this year so we will see her then to. We will be dress shopping for her Jr. Brides maid dress and trying out hair styles.
    Anonymous

• Don't make a big deal out of it. Just keep it low key and relaxed. You know it's a big deal, but they don't need to know that. I actually asked my SO to answer this, b/c I've never met anyone else's kids in this capacity. He says to just be calm and don't be all excited and stuff. You want the kid to like you, definitely, but you want her to like the real you, not a fake you that you put on just to try to impress her.

Hope that helps a little.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 5:07 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Just relax and enjoy. Don't try too hard.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:14 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Just be yourself. I met my out-of-state step kids at age 8 (twin girls) & 6. We used to see em 3-4x a year. Now its only 1-2x. Your feelings will go away as soon as she gets settled in.
    Amberoz

Answer by Amberoz at 6:29 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Been there, done that. It will be ok!
    DaphneMae

Answer by DaphneMae at 10:30 AM on Feb. 12, 2010