Do you expect your parents to clean up after themselves when they babysit your kids?

My mom lets my child run around and make many messes when she's here. I only ask her to babysit when I have to go to the doctor or dentist or a place where a child would not be welcome. Last time I asked her to stay, my child spilled a cup of milk and sunflower seeds on the couch, and my mother just laughed and said "You'll have a mess to clean up when you get home!"

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:06 PM on Feb. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• I'm not being a witch but speaking as a grandmother I'd think she's trying to tell you she doesn't want to babysit

Answer by admckenzie at 5:08 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• no i dont at all because truth is im gettig helped so im not about to complain,but! i would say my son has to eat at the table
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 5:08 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Wow this would never even be an issue with my mom. She would never leave a mess like that for me. If she's not going to help your child clean up the mess then she could at least make sure all eating is done at the table.
    hillaryann

Answer by hillaryann at 5:10 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• If I am left in charge of someone's child then it is my reponsibility to clean up any messes that child may make while in my care. Now if it's an older child that is capable of cleaning up after his/herself then I let them clean their own mess. That's the way I have always looked at it. When my mom was still alive she always cleaned up after my son when she babysat him. But she owned a home daycare so she cleaned up after all the kids.
    momof2il

Answer by momof2il at 5:15 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• My mom leaves the mess too, but I have a maid so.....
    Anonymous

• Don't ask her to babysit if it matters that much to you.
    Anonymous

• I expect my mom to clean up messes that they make together. I do expect that food and drink messes be cleaned up when they happen. I do not however expect that the toys be put away, because that is a hard task.
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:50 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Personally, I think it's very rude to leave a mess like that. It's common sense that the quicker you clean it up, the less chance there will be for a stain or odor. I understand not cleaning up toys, but food messes.....very rude. In the future, all eating must be done in the kitchen. My mom lives far away, but my in laws have never watched my daughter at my house. She always go to their house. If they were here and left a mess like that, which they wouldn't, I would be pissed.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 6:28 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Yes, I expect any babysitter, mother or otherwise, to clean up any messes made while my child(ren) are in their care.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 6:31 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Well if it was toys on the floor and my mom left them there, I wouldn't care but a liquid spill, I would want her to clean otherwise it would stain. That is just common sense! Luckily, my mom is the type who cleans, whether I want her to or not.
    Anonymous