Autism mom's

Can people tell that your child has Autism or does your child appear to be a normal Nero-Typical child to outsiders? what is there official diagnosis? (Curious for my own sake regarding my daughter)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:06 PM on Feb. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• Mine unofficially has Aspergers and you can't tell. The only time that I can tell is when he's playing with other children that he doesn't know. I can see him misreading social cues but other than that, you'd never know that he has it.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 5:13 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Mine has Asperger's. No one can tell anything.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:09 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• My 12 year old has autism and yes, it's pretty obvious. My 10 year old was also diagnosed with autism when he was younger, but he "outgrew" the diagnosis and no longer tests as having anything (pdd, aspergers, etc) and I haven't told anyone he had a label in a very long time!

Answer by missanc at 8:57 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Mine has Low Functioning Asperger's. No one can really tell he isnt an NT unless they spend quite a bit of time around him, interact with him and pay almost 100% attention to him. That is when you pick up on his 'uniqueness". Also, when he is with a group of other kids his age, then it is a bit more noticeable.

I have Asperger's too. (officially dx'd after I was older) But it is easier for me, I think, to see things in him that most people probably dont pick up on.
    Melindakc

Answer by Melindakc at 6:01 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• My son has autism, but most people usually can't tell. The only tip-off might be when he's exited and stims by flapping his fingers and/or humming his monotone hum.
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 12:25 PM on Feb. 12, 2010