I need sleep!!

My newborn son Luca has been home now for six days now with us. It has been an amazing amazing time so far and more than anything do i enjoy being a new mother, but unfortunately he has been up all hours of the night. I know he is a newborn and I am breastfeeding so I expect him to wake up every hour and half to feed but whether he is feeding or not he is still up. Luca is not relaxed when I rock him, in the bouncer, laying down in the crib, being swaddled, I swear ive tried everything I can think of. Any suggestions? Anything will help. Thanks :)!!

momamay2010

Asked by momamay2010 at 5:20 PM on Feb. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Nursing lying down is a lifesaver. SO is cosleeping if you're not opposed to it. For some reason, these babies never read the memo on sleeping. **grin**

Make sure you are resting as much as possible. Admission to see Luca is a chore or a casserole except for those too old or too young to do that.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:26 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Rest when baby sleeps also will help you get through this time. The first 2 weeks breastfeeding was rough but it does get better and he will sleep for longer stretches. Hang in there mommy :)
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:31 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Just try to relax and rest when he is sleeping. That was the best advice that I ever got. If you can have someone come over for a few hours and hang with the baby after he nurses and then catch a nap while someone is there. I wish you luck. Hang in there it gets better. I Promise.
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:48 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• i am in the same boat. the only way i can get my son to sleep at night is to keep him on my chest till he is O-U-T. i also nurse and i just lay down in bed while i do. makes it much easier on me. really all you can do is sleep when he does even if its not when you want. it usually passes after the first couple of weeks, if not sooner.
    michelle.coppes

Answer by michelle.coppes at 6:28 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• And the fun begins...seriously you have to sleep when he sleeps, even if it's at 10am in the morning b/c odds are he's going to be up on and off all night long for the next month or two. Having a newborn is no fun, no fun at all. Luckily it goes by pretty fast.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 6:38 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I agree with the others who suggest learning to nurse lying down. It is a real life saver! Also, having baby right next to you during the night (in a bassinet, co-sleeper, or in your bed) so that you don't have to get up to breastfeed is a big help as well. Be sure to lay down with him during the day too.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:58 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• you guys are all lifesavers! thank you all for your time and advise. I feel much better and the bonding experience of laying down together breastfeeding or sleeping is absolutely wonderful! :) looks like I will get some rest tonight, THANK YOU!
    momamay2010

Answer by momamay2010 at 11:09 PM on Feb. 11, 2010