would you allow your 5 yr old to go play after school with another kid for a few hours if you havent visited the kids house yet?

i have met the mom...we have been on a play date and we talk on the phone. She says that she doesnt mind picking my son up from school and taking him back to play with her son until i get off work at 4. It will be 2 hours. I only feel uncomfortable about it because i havent been to her house yet, otherwise i would probably be okay. Should i let him go and just go over and hang out after work. I'm sure he would be fine. Our kids play very well together....or should i wait until another play date when she invites me over to check out her place??? If so, how do i tell her i would feel more comfortable visiting before i allow her to have my son over alone without offending her?

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 5:37 PM on Feb. 11, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If you feel comfortable with her as a person then I dont know that it matters that you actually go in their home. Jsut my opinion but i think what matters is that you are ok with how she handles the kids and knowimg he will be safe and watched over. I would let him go and then when u pick up you will have a chance to go in since this is only a short visit.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 5:42 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• If you are comfortable with her character, her son, her abilities as a parent... well, flip a coin. I would have issues if I walked into a dirty home, or they smoked in the house. Things of that nature. Otherwise I would be fine.

ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:44 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• You also have to consider how he will be riding over there. Is there a booster seat in her car for him? Does he still ride in a booster?
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 5:47 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I would, especially if I felt comfortable with the mom.
    indymom22

Answer by indymom22 at 7:12 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Take the time to visit the home. Do you know both parents? Do they have other children that will be present? Do they have pets (especially aggresive animals)? Are there guns or other weapons in the home? If so, how are they stored? What kinds of snacks will be offered or are you providing something for your child? There are a lot of things to consider before you let your child spend time in another person's home.
    tiggermom803

Answer by tiggermom803 at 12:01 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• Let it happen once and then go over there and pick him up... then you get to see inside the home.

I would also work with your son on things that are appropriate at other peoples houses: 1) We use our best manners 2) We do NOT jump on furniture 3) We are nice to the host 4) We play inside rooms with doors open 5) This might be too much and I'm not sure how id say it to my own kid but need to convey it's not ok to be alone with a parent.

Outside of the people being hoarders, the house is probably fine... it's what's happening with the people inside that worry me and that needs to be taught to your child because a visit to the house isn't going to tell you anything. Have you met the dad yet? I've watched too much Oprah. :-)

Also, talk to the mom about car safety. "It would be great if you could pick him up! I'll bring the booster seat to school if you dont have one and Joey still must sit in the back."
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 12:49 PM on Feb. 12, 2010