Can a newborn be fed too much?

It seems as though my 5 day old is hungry more quickly and eating more than what the nurses told me to feed her at the hospital. I don't want to let her be hungry but I'm afraid of feeding her too much and her tummy hurting as a result. So should I feed her on a schedule or when she is hungry, and as often and as much as she'll eat. Thank you for your help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:54 PM on Feb. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My oldest ate every hour for 45 min. For 14 hours out of the day for 3 months. She doubled her weight in 3 months. At about 6 months she started spitting up pretty bad after burping, that is when I knew she was over eating. I cut back 5 min. eat side and the spitting up stopped. Today she is 4.5 yo and is tall and skinny girl, let your child tell you there hunger, they know better then a nurse.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 8:28 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• my son would eat and eat and eat sometimes it was to much and he ended up projectile vomiting! so yes he ate to much, some babies just want to suck on something.
    Anonymous

• OP HERE: I thought that too and I try to give her paci but she won't take it..sometimes she does but not during these times. And she will actually push herself back and do her lips like she does when she gets a bottle; super cute
    Anonymous

• Nursing or formula? Not sure on the formula, but if nursing, nurse on demand. It will seem constant in the first few weeks. That's ok.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:41 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Nurse on demand. Add a half ounce to a bottle if using formula - a bit more may be what she needs.
    Anonymous

• my daughter was like that right after i had her u can over feed ur babys i always asumed when she cried she was wet or hungry (1st time mom) her doctors said babys cry if they've had to much to eat as far as a schedule goes i think there pointless when it comes to feeding let her eat when shes hungry give her a binki if u think she just wants sumthing in her mth sumtimes thats all they want.. sumthing else if ur feeding her w/ formula n she continues 2 do that id talk 2 her doc bc my daughter was like that n her formula wasnt filling her up so they told me to add rice cereal to her bottles 2 help fill her lil tummy
    kristy_shawn03

Answer by kristy_shawn03 at 12:53 PM on Feb. 14, 2010