he says he will tell me when he has to go, then doesnt.

im in the process of potty training my 3yr old boy, and he has his great days.. but then he has his bad days (full of accidents). i take him to the toilet every hour and a half or so, and he ALWAYS says "i dont have to go! i'll tell you!" but as soon as he sits on the toilet, he goes. so what i have been doing lately is since he wants to be so "independent"is try letting him tell me when he has to go. this only worked twice. but i don't want to take him to the toilet if he doesn't want to go. what am i supposed to do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:59 PM on Feb. 11, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• try more often, like every 30 min..
    Anonymous

• He's 3. Take him. Often. Too bad what he wants.
    Anonymous

• reward him for trying and for going with you to the potty without complaining. if he complains. no reward. it is cool that he wants to be indepenent but doesnt sounds like he is really ready yet. if he goes on his own without being asked - big reward! and if he refuses to go with you i would sit him in time out until he gives in. my son does that with bed time. i tell him if you dont want to get in bed fine. but you will sit in time out until you are ready to listen to me. ususally takes about 2-3 minutes before he is bored enough to give in and listen to me.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 7:14 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• What worked for us was doing two things at once -- not taking her anymore unless she was visibly holding it (doing the squirmy thing) at which point we drew attention to that behavior and then took her (no option) or unless we were about to leave the house or were out in public for awhile. At the same time, we stared a new little reward system -- if YOU say potty and take us to the potty (she was only 20 months at the time so we really had to simplify; I'm sure this conversation would sound different with a 3 year-old), you get an m & m. For a couple of days she'd do it sometimes just for the reward, but that wasn't a big deal in the grand scheme. It got her in the habit of taking the initiative.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:58 PM on Feb. 11, 2010