1st time using a slowcooker.

its a 5-qt. i added 2 small potatoes, a few baby carrots, a cup of water and a seasoned pork butt (dont know how many pounds). how long and what temp should i cook it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:03 PM on Feb. 11, 2010 in Food & Drink

• slow cooker means slow cooking....so it'll be a while! :) I always set mine in the mid morning and set it for dinner time. once it's done I put it on low to stay warm.
    Anonymous

• My slow cooker has low, high and keep warm. On high it takes about 6 hours. On low about 8 hours. I usually set mine before I go to work and it is done when I get home.
    momof2il

Answer by momof2il at 6:13 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I have a 5 lb pork shoulder roast I am cooking this week, so I will put it on at like 10 am and cook it on low for 8-10 hours. You can cook a larger roast on high for 4-6 hours and it should be fine. But the low and slow keeps it a lot more tender.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 8:09 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• You have to get to know your cooker. All cooker cook differently. some faster, some slower. My new one cooked so much faster than my old one, it burnt my roast! So time it and keep a check on it after about 3 or so hours. But taking the lid off, it takes about 20 mins for it to reheat again.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 1:47 PM on Feb. 13, 2010