Do you feel teachers should be fired if students don't pass required state test?

I saw on the news here in Houston, HISD is considering a plan to fire teachers if students do not pass standardized tests. In some instances I don't think is fair to teachers because some students are not good test takers. Then also, there are students who are truly not motivated. Also, there are some kids who have a lot of things going on in their home life, that school is just in the way. So they don't pay attention when they do come to school, but instead stay in trouble. Then too there are some teachers who may need to change teaching styles. But the next question would be, how can you expect students to pass a test, when teachers can't teach???? And by can't teach I mean, that there is more testing than teaching.

pebbleschild

Asked by pebbleschild at 6:46 PM on Feb. 11, 2010 in Just for Fun

• no, teachers cant be expected to do everything. They do need help from home.
    ellegrl

Answer by ellegrl at 6:51 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• wow...there's got to be a lot of teacher's who'd get replace then! if it also goes for struggling students who are in special education who cant take tests like that to save thier life, then my answer is definetly no. i know the teacher's pay are not great but they could be teaching better but if they are doing the best they can...its still not fair i dont feel its the teacher's fault
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 6:53 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• No, I really don't think they should, for the reasons your mentioned. Also, teachers are observed, evaluated, and held accountable in that way already, so the bad teachers are weeded out. Getting tenure takes years, and isn't a for-sure thing.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 6:56 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• You can send a child to school but you cannot make him learn. Why should the teacher lose their job?
    Anonymous

• I don't think they should be fired, but I do think they should be held partly accountable.
    Anonymous

• LOL as a teacher I would have to say no. Hear me out - STATE TESTS are NOT modified. EVERY CHILD is expected to take the EXACT SAME test, no matter what (here anyway). Students learn at a VARIETY of different levels. I have students who have been diagnosed with a learning disability, have ADHD, receive SPED services, Reading Recovery services, etc. I MODIFY work for them. The specialist teachers modify work for them. When it comes to the state test - they ALL TAKE IT. Some may have the test READ TO THEM, but it's still the SAME questions that need to be answered.

As another stated - help from home is needed TOO. I can give as much support as I am able in a 6 hour school day, for struggling students. If a parent is not going to put in the time at home, the child is LESS LIKELY to succeed. So in all honesty, how can you put TEST SCORES on the teacher ALONE????? There are so many factors that play into test scores.

Anonymous

• Oh for goodness sake!No!!! And they don't need to be held accountable. It is all up to the students---they HAVE to want to learn! If they just occupy a desk and they don't try at all, it is their fault. And their parents' faults for not encouraging their kids to learn and study!!!!
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 7:20 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• No way. Some kids simply aren't very smart. There's only so much teachers can do. They aren't miracle workers.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 7:27 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• In most cases no, some students don't want to learn, have parents who don't help, having learning issues, etc... I would look into it though if almost ALL of a teacher's students (or a majority) did poorly on tests for a certain number of years in a row. Most teachers do care for their students and help them succeed, but every now and then you run into someone who is just NOT cut out for teaching...and that would be a disadvantage for students. This would be of course if the other teachers within the region or school were having much more success than her/him. If the entire school is doing poorly, then it's likely something other than poor teaching. There are too many variants to say one way or another, so it really depends. It's also not easy being a teacher, and I could never do it. So I respect anybody who even gives it a go!
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 7:44 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Way to put more pressure and stress on those who are supposed to be educating our children for the futures. Teachers are already over worked and underpaid and the job that they do is crazy important for our success as a country. As a PP stated help from home is needed and teachers can't be expected to force unmotivated students to work/learn. Not everyone is the same, not everyone learns in the same manner, and some kids are horrible test takers! All students shouldn't be given the same test to base the teachers 'performance' on. I can see doing something to assess a teachers ability to teach but this doesn't seem to be like a good solution to an ongoing problem.
    apattinson

Answer by apattinson at 7:51 PM on Feb. 11, 2010